Smart Guy - Spongebob

"Dude, you gotta come over and see my new babysitter," Russell insisted, "She's a BABE."

"Don't you have to do summer reading or something like that," I interrupted.

The boy dropped the house phone after realizing I heard his conversation with his friend. I took this babysitting gig because I needed money for my school shopping since we had just moved into this town, but my mom and I had gotten into an argument where it ended in me having to be the one to pay for all of my stuff, so I got a job babysitting. This gig was much different than the others, though, mainly because the boy I was looking after was my exact age- I was a couple of months younger than him. His parents insisted he needed one, though, and by spending only six hours with him, I agreed with them. 

Russel was a shaggy-haired annoyance, but he was cute- so I let him be. He had been trying to flirt with me since I walked through that door. It didn't matter if his advances were plummeting. He kept on trying. He was persistent.

"No, I finished that earlier in the summer," he bragged, "I read it in a day- almost in under an hour."

I raised an eyebrow at his bizarre statement. I'd understand if it was Horton Hears A Who, but we both knew the books they assigned us were at least 200 pages. I tried to refrain from rolling my eyes at him. I was curious about how long he'd keep up with this lie.

"Really," I gasped.

I walked over to him and grabbed his arm, wrapping mine around his.

Russell smirked and nodded his head, "What can I say? I'm smart, and I like to read."

"I like smart guys, Russell," I swooned.

"Please, Y/n, call me Spongebob," he insisted.

The urge to laugh in his face was murdering me, but I held my own. Spongebob then began to try and flex his muscles that he didn't have in an attempt to woo me. I do not get paid enough for this.

"Oh, I never realized you were so buff," I said.

"Who me," Spongebob smiled, "I wouldn't say I'm buff. Although, I do work out at the gym 24/7."

"Well, Sponebob, I think that's hot," I persisted, "Hey, about that book. May I ask what it was that you read?"

"The Scarlet Letter," he continued, "It's so mysterious, so mature like me."

"Oh, tell me more," I begged, "What was it about?"

"It was about this girl- named Scarlet," he lied, "And she wrote the letter."

The jig was up entirely as I dropped my fake smile and let go of him.

"Russell, there is no one in the Scarlet Letter named Scarlet," I fussed.

"Well, how do you know," he argued.

"My mom's the town librarian, dude," I reminded, "I've already read every book on the summer reading list."

"Oh, wait, no one is Scarlet in that book," he continued, "That's misinformation."

"No, misinformation is that Scarlet is writing letters," I corrected him, "The main character wears a scarlet letter as punishment. It's legit in the first chapter. Are you telling me you haven't read one page?"

He gave me that goofy smile as he shook his head. He was so cute that it made me angry. How can you be perfect yet so idiotic? I rolled my eyes.

"Go get your book and your packet," I sighed, "I'm going to help so you don't fail. I don't want to see you fall behind, you know. I actually kind of like you being around."

I think he took that as a confession of love- out of the blue, he had kissed me- and for some reason, I wasn't complaining. Russell pulled away from me and smirked.

"I like you too, Y/n," he expressed.

I tried to fight back a grin. It's funny how every other flirting attempt he had didn't get through to me, but I couldn't ignore this one, and it was safe to say that he won me.

"Go get your books, Spongebob," I fussed.

"I'm on it," Spongebob exclaimed.

Before I knew it, he had sprinted up the stairwell and grabbed his stuff. He sped back down and ran past me into the dining room. I shook my head and chuckled as I followed him. What can I say- I like smart guys.