Eyes Pt. 3

Miss Elsa was so kind to give me a handheld mirror she'd found in her tent as a welcome gift. It hadn't left my hand since she'd handed it to me, but my reality felt broken as my mind tried to process the person staring back at me. It disgusted me that my eyes had been like this my entire life, and everyone hid from me like meanies. They'd lost their manners. You don't ignore it when someone has tissue at the bottom of their shoe. You tell them to prevent embarrassment, so why couldn't they have told me my eyes were cat-like? The world we lived in was a sick one. 

Word had gotten around about my ignorance of my abnormality, and the others thought the story was funny. The idea of my folks sheltered me so much that my face was a curiosity to me was the topic of the breakfast table. Some of them had similar upbringings, but not as ridiculous as mine. It fascinated them that after living for 23 years, my first time seeing a mirror was yesterday. Mirrors were more common outside of my barred window than my parents led me to believe, and according to them, most households had one. Shocking revelations entered my day from every direction. No one noticed Jimmy and Miss Elsa entering the area, and as they continued to joke, it bothered him.

"Well, you might be one of the prettiest stars, Y/n, but you sure aren't the brightest." Paul joked.

"She wouldn't even have figured it out with another head." Dot declared. "Dare I say it but even Bette could've put two and two together if she didn't have me."

Some of their jokes sounded like they weren't trying to hurt my feelings, but Dot's remarks showed me differently. Each of her statements followed with an imaginary dagger as it hit me and her conjoined sister, Bette. Bette had been the butt of a lot of her sister's jokes as she compared our intelligence. The two-headed lady or ladies had arrived not too long before me and they were a monumental act in the show. Jimmy warned me about Dot's attitude beforehand, but she didn't take too much of a liking to me. She'd given me nasty glares and attitude since our introduction. Her sister was much nicer. Bette greeted me with such hospitality. She even offered to sit and eat with me until Dot argued with her about it.

"Bette wouldn't have been able to sneak out of the house herself, though." Dot continued. "So, I'll give Y/n props for that. They'd make up for the judgment the other lacks if Y/n was in my spot instead."

Their insults made me feel more like a fool each moment. The same went for Bette as she stopped eating to sulk. They could compare us with wits, but her sister, being as mean as my parents, was what we had most in common. The shenanigans would soon end as Jimmy made his presence known. He seemed to have a lot of influence on the show as everyone stayed silent and listened to him speak.

"I surely don't see why any of you are laughing. Dot, didn't your mother hide you and Bette too? You two only got to leave because Bette had more courage than you!" Jimmy exclaimed.

Dot soon realized she should've sat there and eaten her food while Bette smiled at the acknowledgment. Without Bette killing their mother, the twins would've spent the rest of their lives hidden, so she deserved more respect from her sister. 

"What part of her becoming a part of our family did any of you not understand?" Jimmy interrogated. "She's a part of the Freak Show, just like the rest of us. We don't like it when people mock us, so what the hell?"

Having the handsome man stick up for me made my cheeks feel hot. Jimmy was a real-life superhero, always ready to help and protect those in need. He'd helped me so much within two days, and words couldn't describe my appreciation. I'd hug him for as long as he'd let me if I could, but my mother had always warned me against hugging a man. She'd say the stork would deliver a baby to me. I wasn't ready for motherhood yet. And even though my mother wouldn't see, Miss Elsa made me promise not to distance myself from him until we could find a new headliner, whatever that meant. Miss Elsa placed her hand on his shoulder to calm him, but he was not in the mood. He shook her hand off his shoulder and moved away from her.