Kuwento ni Lola Basya #66 - Room 09

"I had been betrayed before!" Loud voices, screaming internally here in our area. It is already 8;00 o clock in the evening, yet the surroundings are busy.

"What a typical scenario, right Thalia?" I just nodded to Dr.Senku, the assigned doctor for this night.

"I am just staying at my office," he informed us before heading to his office.

-----

"Thalia, aren't you going home? Your shift is already done." Gavin, who is my pair, asked me; his face seemed like he wanted to hug me.

"No, I am fine and just finishing things. Might as well do some overnight here." His forehead formed a crease, but I assured him I was fine and had nothing to worry about.

"Okay! I am going home already, and you know Criselda and the children are waiting for me." I give him a timid smile before going back to what I was doing a while ago.

It has been two years since I finished my degree but look at me now instead of teaching my students as I passed the licensure examination test as bsed major in English; I am here at the Ford Hospital, someone who doesn't know if she belongs here.

"My dear Thalia! Why are you still there?" Dr. Senku asked the moment he saw me while fixing my sight on the room facing my area.

"Doc," this is the only word I can utter.

"Thalia, he will not be back, and please keep moving forward. We all know this world is not for you." His words seem like a dagger that everything keeps digging into a wound I have kept hiding for the past year of agony.

-----

"Happy birthday loves!" Kite's voice bombarded the four corners of the room. That my bedroom really looked like a mess since I started my early review for the upcoming let examination.

"Kite, I thought you were also busy?" I asked him since yesterday he already told me not to bother each other because he also needs to cure some patients.

"Excuses. You know your boyfriend just wanted to surprise you, and I hope you can give some half of your day, my future teacher?" Geez! This man never made me feel worthless from the day we met until after a year in a relationship. Lord, thank you for allowing me to meet this awesome man.

"Mr nurse, you know I don't know how to say no, especially to you." His chubby cheeks started to turn pinkish, and gay might act yet I really find this cute.

"So! Let's go! We're running out of time." Sea breeze, different rides, and delicious food. That's how we spend my birthday. Indeed it is simple, but together with the one you love, I can't be denied the fact that this is another memory that will last for the long term.

"Kite?" We are now sitting on the benches and waiting for the fascinating Luna to arrive.

"Hmmm!" Even his humming voice sounds like a melody to my eardrums.

"Are you seeing yourself 15 years from now being my husband?"

"Of course! What kind of questions is that?" He hugged me, the kind of comforter I had longed to be. Assurance. He screamed it silently with his gestures.

"Kite, I am messed up, I have anxiety and depression, and I can't guarantee that I can show my love to you. I easily break down, I don't know how to do the laundry or even cook my own food. Kite, why me?" He just gave me his smile, a smile that seemed like being amazed at how this girl had been with him for a year already.

"You know what makes you stand out among them, Thalia? Way back the day we first met, I don't know, but I just found myself being comfortable with you in a short span of time."

"But..." He held my hand this time while looking above, how beautiful Luna is, just how it gives light during this gloomy street.

"I love you, Thalia." He kisses my forehead; that's the cue that no matter how much I look like a moon full of flaws, Kite is willing to accept me for being who I am.

"Let's go! It's getting late, and you must take your review tomorrow." While driving his own car, a loud ring came from his cell phone, and with one tap, everything bombarded us with heavy feelings.

-----

"He promised me, Kite is the type of a man who knows how to keep it." The tears I have been holding since the day I decided to volunteer here started popping up.

"Thalia, I already explained that Kite's condition is getting severe. It has been two years since we started curing his post-traumatic disorder, yet he doesn't look good." Yes, Kite has PTSD; my birthday is the same day his parents die because of the hit and run.

"Doc, I'm begging you!" I look desperate right now while seeing my boyfriend inside the room shouting endlessly, his face painted with stressed and frightened emotion.

"I understand you, Thalia, and I did not ask you to stop loving Kite. Despite your boyfriend's condition, I just wanted to see you moving forward."

Inside room 09 is my boyfriend Kite, who looks like some lost puppy inside the cage; he seems hopeless, yet part of me still lingered that someday I will see his smile again.

"Thalia, we are doing our part as a Doctor, but please help yourself too. Keep moving forward, and Kite will be happiest seeing you doing your own pathway."

It has been one minute since Dr. Senku was gone, and I am standing alone outside the room while my eyes and Kite's dull eyes lock together. I uttered the word, "I love you." silently with a continuous flow of tears, seeing his face that suffering for years already.