Kuwento ni Lola Basya #60 - The Business of Mona Lisa

"Education is key to success," my parents always remind me with these sayings as someone who belongs in the poverty they wanted me to push myself and strives harder when it comes to my study especially I am currently taking a course related to medical. Yes, I am now a graduating nursing student that's why my parents work harder just to make sure they will fulfil my need, yet I have still 5 siblings, and they're also studying just like me. My dad is a balot vendor, my mom also selling chicken raised by us but the income is still not enough for our daily living that is why I am also doing a part-time job but because of pandemic and sudden lockdown our small source of income is affected.

"Mona, can you go to aling tisay store? Just tell her I am going to pay after this lockdown." It was early in the morning and my mom tell me to go to aling tisay store because that woman yesterday is shouting to our house a daily reminder to pay our debt to her house and also the rental of the house.

"Ok mom." I just simple obeyed my mom since I don't want her to be stress even more, she's busy preparing our breakfast and as usual egg is presented again. I'm wear my mask and hold my quarantine pass just to make sure I will not be arrested I don't have the money to pay them.

~~~~
While walking to our area I can witness how this pandemic change it, it is just 6 am in the morning yet everyone is still inside in their house, some that roaming is wearing a different style of mask and front liners is scattered in the surrounding sometimes they ask me if I have quarantine pass.

"Mona! Finally, you are here. Did your parents say how much you need to pay?" Her eyebrows are now raising, her usual high-pitched voice is echoing in the surrounding.

"Along tisay, you know you're beautiful. Can you just wait until this lockdown will be over?" With that she is looking me like now some mad woman ready to eat me alive.

"Hmm mm! So you will not go to pay me. Plus the fact that the house you are living its own by me if I am going to total your rental and your debt... I can sense how I want you and your family to be kick-out in this area." With her statement I know she is now serious but not now especially my parents still having a trouble to our small business, my siblings will also under-go an online class and also me my part-time job is being affected too because of this pandemic.

"I promise I am going to pay you tomorrow just give me time to find a money," I replied her but not sure if how will I find money in one day, the coffee vendo I am working is now temporary close.

"Very good then," with her reply I know we are in the danger once I will not find a money to pay our debt.

"6,000 thousands pesos, Mona Lisa due date tomorrow I don't care what business you have but I need the money tomorrow afternoon." She is now walking inside in their house while I decided to just back to our house and think how can I find money in that instant.

"Mona, are you fine? Did aling tisay scolded you again?" My mom ask me the moment I arrived but I just let a small smile, so she will not be going to worry with me and with my replied she just found herself hugging me.

"Don't stress yourself too much about it, your dad is in the backyard he needs help I will just go there." She said it right after she released me in her tight hug.

~~~~

"Mona! Clarissa is outside!" It was now evening my mom is cooking, and I am in the backyard helping my dad handling the egg of the chicken hopefully it is enough to pay our debt to aling tisay.

"Mona Lisa, did you find the job? Our University website just announced we will also under-go online class, laptop and Wi-Fi is a must according to the announcement." Clarissa welcomed me with these statements, my cellphone is just a second-hand and it is not enough to use to online class since it is just an old model.

"Did you have any job to offer? I don't really have extra money right now beside of academic needs I need also to pay our debt. Since you know our income coming from selling chicken and balot is not enough." Clarissa forehead is forming into worried, she can feel my needs with my voice and I really badly need money.

"Hmm mm! Why not try the online barter thought it will not give you money but it can help you to have a second-hand laptop for our online class," her replied make me feel the necessity to do it right now, a second-hand laptop is not bad beside I can also make business with it.

"How?" With my question she shows me her cellphone and search an online page name 'modern barter' we saw a post saying 3 dozen eggs with extra service in exchange for second-hand laptop. Clarissa's comment it, and we found ourselves asking the guy location.

"Mona, how can you make sure this is legal?" My dad ask me after saying it to him and now I am carrying the 3 dozen eggs.

"Don't worry dad I will be safe." I hug him tight and release later on.

~~~~

I'm now here in the location holding the eggs hoping for the second-hand laptop and to avail that extra service in exchange of money. While my buyer is now smiling like some villian he ready to caught his prey.