Chapter 41 - The Last Fight

Lisa turned sideways to find her girlfriend staring into her face. Chae's lips were barely an inch away, making it so damned impossible for Lisa to refrain from kissing her. But at that point, the other woman had known her Lisa more than any host could—let it be her own or someone else's that she was in now. Chae seemed to share the same thoughts as the detective, thus making the first move.

Smiling, she flicked a stray lock of hair away from Lisa's left temple.

Lisa returned the smile in response, leaning toward her woman for a soft kiss. Although it was just as quick as a breath, Lisa closed her eyes to welcome each pleasant sensation wafting through her as her heart suddenly beat twice as fast as normalcy demanded. She would like to kiss her as if it was her last, yet the final thing she had to do for love was lingering in her mind.

So she parted her lips away from the kiss, opened her eyes and stared right into Chae's amorous gaze. 

I love you. She could hear the unspoken words on Chae's lips. That woman didn't even have to say anything. Both of them had gone this far—way too far in a crazy journey just to be together, and there was no amount of regret for everything they had done. It was all worth it, and they enjoyed every second of it until they couldn't think of how life was going to be without jumping on a train of universes. But as far as true love had passed all the challenges they had gone through, Lisa stayed with the only mission she was supposed to be doing before she had sold her soul; taking Chae to Heaven.

Little did she knew, Paddington was the only heaven Chae had ever known.

"Love?" Chae's low voice pulled the detective out of focus.

"Hmm?"

"Do you think this is going to work?"

Sighing, Lisa wrapped up the moment with a kiss on Chae's forehead before her arms went around the woman's body. At the feel of the warmth they shared, a wave of calmness settled over her.

"I believe so," Lisa answered. "Do your last confession, baby. You will have the kindest priest praying for you." She added. "And not only as a priest for a servant," Lisa paused, feeling the tickles in her eyes. "But as a father for his daughter."

For the rest of the ride, Lisa linked her fingers with Chae's and then cast her gaze through the window beside her. Their hands stayed locked together even when they exited the train, took a taxi and strode past the gigantic double doors of the church where they had hoped to find Mr Richards. They went further into the building, their footsteps resounding as they walked between rows of benches leading to the altar. Halfway down the pathway between the rows of pews, they stopped.

"This is strange," Chae furrowed her eyebrows as she checked the time around Jennifer's wrist. "It's empty? At this hour?"

"I don't think there's anyone here." Lisa swept her eyes around. 

In an instance, a deep voice said from behind them.

"Think again,"

The voice was cold, devoid of emotions, but the detective could easily recognise it anyway.

"Hopkins?" Lisa turned around to face the man at the same time Chae did.

Smirking, the man walked past the church door as it was slammed shut by itself.

"Try again," He hissed.

Chae's fingers stiffened in Lisa's grip, alerting her girlfriend to her fears. So Lisa tightened her hold in an attempt to calm the other woman, yet she couldn't deny her own fright. Even as she tried to be brave for Chae, she couldn't feign oblivion to the tremor creeping into her own heart at the sight of a man's eyes looming only a few steps away. That was because she had seen the same eyes before, emitting an eerie red glow at her before she had stepped through Krauss' door for the first time with Nick.