Chapter 7

I went to bed around 9p.m. even though Chae was here and she persuaded me to watch a movie with her on the TV. I dragged her with me, of course, since I was on call for this whole week. That put me as one of the detectives that would be called to any crime scene if there was any.

It didn't take much to win over her in this kind of case since Chae would put my rest and sleep to her priority, always. She would rather sacrifice movie time with me than tolerate the guilt later on if I got a call out.

She came by after 7p.m. earlier when she finished with her work since she said she missed me, which was understandable. I had been busy with work lately and Chae would only sleep at my place on Friday and Saturday. I guessed she just couldn't wait for weekends to be with me, so she decided to spend a night here today, on Thursday night.

But my sleep was interrupted when a sharp, ringing noise penetrating my ears.

Groaning against Chae's neck, I ignored the sound.

"Lisa?"

I smiled when her sleepy, soft voice eliminated the disturbing sound that came out from my phone's speaker.

Thinking of how my lips just arched in a natural, guileless form that was impossible for me to negate, I already knew how far I had changed. I was different not only as a person, but as a detective I was well known of since Chae Richards decided to hold my hand in this journey I called relationship.

Someone like Baxter would classify it as a distraction, and also someone like me, once upon a time. I used to have thoughts about how love would slow me down, creating and adding emotional responsibilities that were imperative to be devoted towards my non-existent significant other. I used to burden myself with commitments towards dead people, and for that part, it didn't even require me to treat any of the victims like my girlfriend.

Dead people needed my brain, skills, and dedication. And living with that kind of routine for years, it was hard for me to break it at first. That was one of the reasons why I took so long to finally approach Chae more than her regular customers would.

But she lend her eyes for me to see love in a different perspective than I used to; a distraction. She lend her heart for me to assimilate and experience how love felt like.

And that was how I managed to smile even though I heard my phone ringing.

Lisa Isaac before 'Chae Richards' happened was someone who would definitely grab her cell phone as soon as she heard it rang at 2 in the morning, putting the sudden anxiety and fear on their own graph readings all at once. No homicide detective would want to hear the ringing that played a crucial role in projecting initial trauma of what could have been waiting at the crime scene; gruesome conditions of victim who was covered by blood, and having the body intact was just lucky.

Well, Lisa Isaac after love happened was a much better person. At least that was what I thought of myself. The phone call didn't traumatise me like it did before, which was obviously a good thing to put into consideration. Chae was right anyway when she told me that love was peace.

And I did feel the peace. In fact, I was feeling the peace even though my phone was screaming of a possible murder.

Chae shifted her position on the bed when the ringing had stopped, and I felt her lips on my head shortly after.

"Lisa, you missed the call" she stated.

"That's alright, baby" I breathed out. "They will call again"

She didn't get to respond to me as the ringing was heard for the second time. So I opened my eyes, looking at my phone that was in Chae's grip.

"Here," My girlfriend handed the device to me. "Don't miss it again" she laughed a little.