Chapter 30 - The Opposite

So I read my own author's note for this story and was reminded about the reasons why I write. I love you guys ❤

"Isaac?!"

I pushed my eyelids up, feeling my body being shaken by the shoulders and also the chill that made me realised I was actually lying on the floor.

"Baxter!" I exclaimed as I reached for his arms and he helped me to get up instantly. "What did I do on the floor?!"

"Are you okay?!" He sounded so worried while what I did on the dirty tiles earlier was all I cared about. "We were discussing a case and you just fell off the chair"

I sat myself at the table, looking around the meeting room that Baxter and I were in.

"Yeah, I'm alright" I looked down, fixing my top to get rid of the wrinkles that had started to bother me as soon as I noticed them. "What date is today, Nick?"

Glancing at the time that was wrapped around my wrist, I waited for his answer.

"It's June 29"

There was a hole that just made its depth in my heart, creating a hard thump against my chest when I found out that it had been 3 weeks since my movie hang out with Chae while I took a sleeping pill at 11p.m. on the same day as her funeral in the morning.

The time here was insanely fast compared to my universe! And I started to think if every single day that I spent awake from morning to night would cost me 3 weeks in this universe. I might need to sleep for 24 hours a day just to make sure I didn't waste more time of not sleeping and travelling to see Chae.

"Are you kidding me?!" I asked him, taking the Lisa's phone out from my pocket to recheck the time and date at the moment. "June 29?!"

"Yeah, what's the matter?"

I landed my forehead on my palm, holding it with my elbow on the flat surface in front of me. To be honest, I wouldn't mind if it was just 1 or 2 days but 3 weeks were really time consuming. If it was this fast, I began to doubt my own ability to pull this mission off.

Every investigation would need time and serious concentration apart of full time commitment towards it, and I couldn't do any of those if I kept returning to my world once I woke up from sleep.

I would be wasting time that I couldn't get back.

And Chae didn't have much time left.

"If you are worrying about the case," Nick's voice was heard again. "It's stressing me out too. We don't even make any progress yet"

I brought my head back up, eyes looking at him when I heard something that I never heard before in my entire career.

So I asked him. "What do you mean?"

"It's been 2 months without any lead and we have another 4 cases on stacks"

I frowned this time since 2 months without progress for a homicide case sounded nothing like Detective Lisa Isaac's work. It was almost never for me not to be able to find the holes no matter how cleaned the murder was executed.

Also, the fact that my team still had 4 cases in queue as I was told by Baxter really scared me just like the wrinkled top I was wearing. These two were so terrifying!

Getting up from the chair, I closed all the files on the table as I refused to think about work. "That's alright, Nick. We can continue after lunch"

"Just leave the files, Isaac" He responded. "I still need to assess them"

"It's lunch time?" I denied him. "Come on, Nick. I don't want to eat alone"

I walked away from the table to head to the exit door but Nick's voice stopped me shortly after.