Chapter 17 - The New Journey

Natalie's voice added more noises in the room when she kept on scolding the actor on the TV, as if the shooting sound that came out from the speaker wasn't enough for the chaos. I wasn't a fan of this type of drama series; violent and full of profanities, but it was my best friend's favourite programme and she made me watch it with her.

"What's he waiting for?!" She half yelled at the screen from the sofa we were sitting on. "That's too much talking! Just pull the trigger already!"

Even though it was already past midnight and it wasn't quiet like I preferred it to be, it still didn't bother me. That was because there was a war in my mind at that time, and I was listening to the screams of my own thoughts, which were too loud for me to silence. And I had tried so hard to get rid of these worries, believing that everything would be just fine, but nothing seemed to work so far.

The absence of Asmodeus and the normal sleeping I had been having were the things that put me in this troubled state. Today was the fifteenth day since I last saw that creature, and I had been sleeping like others without any travelling for more than two weeks now. No matter how many times I called for her in a day, she still didn't come and I thought about reaching out to Mr. Krauss regarding this matter. No travelling for 15 days was a lot of time wasted, because if I calculated it correctly, that was equivalent to 360 days in that Lisa's universe.

It's been almost a year!

I knew Asmodeus had a very dangerous task to do and I was aware of how crucial our new plans were for the both of us, but she could have reported back to me, at least. She could have visited me like she used to even if it was for a few minutes, and told me how everything was going. But she went missing instead, making me assume things that might have happened to her in that universe.

What's happening there?
Is she and that Chae alright?
Did she get evicted from that host?

Those were the questions that had been daunting my mind, and I worried most about the last one. It was understandable that possession didn't take overnight, because that was how it had been all this while. Each time I took over the host, the soul of that Chae was still living in a form of dream; floating and experiencing everything I did with her body. So whenever that Chae woke up again, she would only experience memory loss and confusion.

This time was different. Asmodeus offered a full possession, which would slowly turn that Chae into someone she was not; me. This process would change someone's character, and Chae's would be replaced with mine. She would mimic how I talked, walked, behaved, basically everything that I was. Only by this way, both of her soul and body would be connected to me. Thus, everything that Chae did in her universe, I would feel it too, sleep or without sleep.

"Fuck!"

Natalie's voice wasn't the only thing that surprised me, but also the darkness that was brought to us when the lights were taken away without notice.

"You've got to be kidding me!" She exclaimed and I saw the light in her hand that came from her phone screen. "This is the second time for this month!"

"I'll check the fuse box" I volunteered as I took out my own phone from my pocket, pretending like I had no idea why we were experiencing power outage.

"I'm going to lodge complaints!" Natalie continued. "God, this is the final episode!"

Closing the lid back, I turned to my roommate again.

"Fuse is alright" I said, walking towards the stairs right after. "Let's go to bed, Nat. We still need to work tomorrow"

"How can you be so patient with this?! We have no heater!" I heard her footsteps followed mine from behind. "It's probably 10°C now!"