Chapter 18 - The Approaches

If I had to choose only one season to look at for the rest of my life—spring, summer, autumn, and winter—or, looking into Lisa's eyes, I would choose her eyes at no time.

Her eyebrows rose as she was turning, probably got alerted when someone called her name and her eyes widened forthwith when they revealed to her who that someone was. At that time I knew I had made the right decision because I got the picture-perfect spring, the sun-kissed summer, the free-falling autumn, and the pure white winter all in one person.

"I'm so sorry!" Lisa exclaimed, shaking her head at the same time. "I didn't realise-"

I grinned to her struggle in finishing her sentence and decided not to let her explain herself further because for me she didn't have to.

"Your yakisoba" I handed the plastic container to Lisa, eyes staring at her hand that was reaching for her order.

"You shouldn't have brought it all the way here" She uttered in such a languid voice, making all the desires I had towards her feel like they were combusting one by one.

She's so adorable!

Smiling, I continued the small chat we were having as my eyes remained down.

"It's just a few meters away, detective"

"I'm sorry, but you don't have to call me that"

"Why not?"

"It's too formal?" Lisa answered. "Besides, I come here for food. It's not like I'm investigating something"

"I see," I nodded, still avoiding the eye contact. "But you have your badge on, detective"

I saw Lisa's fingers taking off her badge, shoving it into her pocket and they came out with a 10-pound note right after.

"Keep the change," Lisa said, handing the money to me. "You know, for walking up here and delivering the food"

I appreciated her effort in apologising, but I didn't think walking away from my stall while she was supposed to wait nearby was a big deal. Well, it was Lisa anyway, she wasn't just a customer to me. I could deliver the food straight to her house if she wanted me to. So, I rejected the money politely, still keeping the same smile on my face.

"That's fine, miss. My treat" I said, turning around and leaving the spot when I remembered my promise to Natalie earlier. I had to return to the stall and help my best friend closing it down.

But Lisa's voice and her footsteps tried to stop me, torturing my emotions with the shyness that I wasn't sure how long I could bear.

"No, no please. I feel bad about this, please take the money"

"Don't be, you are our regular customer anyway" I still disagreed as I continued my walk slowly. "You can pay for the next one"

"Okay, if that's so," Lisa sounded like she accepted my offer. "Can we hang out for exchange? I mean-" She stuttered all of the sudden. "I want to hang out with you, whenever you are free?"

My eyes crawled to hers this time when the urge had reached its peak, giving me a new kind of surprise when I heard what she just said. The robust pounding of my heart gave me the feeling of falling in love again, driving me clueless and anxious about how to react.

My smile was the only thing I could offer to Lisa for the time being, feeling how my hands began to shake in this nervousness she caused me. 

"I'll think about it," I said, forcing my feet even harder to take me away from the situation and distracting my mind with the closing time of my stall.