Chapter 15 - The Push

I walked in hurry when I was released minutes after the interrogation ended, planning to leave the police station as soon as I could. Having somewhere in my mind that I had to go to, I just couldn't waste any time. The 'first 48 hours' was already important before for my previous cases, and having to run after it for Chae's made it even more crucial.

But my steps were interrupted by a voice when I just walk passed DCI Cooper's office, stopping myself in reluctance.

DCI Cooper came to the door since he didn't invite me in. I knew right away that I would get nagged at. But whatever he was about to say to me, I guessed it wouldn't take long since I wasn't called into his office with a closed door.

"Don't do anything stupid again, Isaac" He spoke by the door frame, pushing his hands into the pockets. "I know you are in a deep grief but that's not an excuse for you to physically assault another detective"

I huffed.

"Oh really?" I questioned him, cocking an eyebrow. "What do you know about my grief, sir?" My eyes kept looking at him even though other policemen walking by since I was standing in the middle of the corridor. "What do you know about being ordered to go to a fucking seminar by your boss and racing back just to find someone you love, killed?"

DCI Cooper didn't let out any sound from his mouth as quick as I expected him to since I just put him into the blame for Chae's death apart of myself.

My mouth arched for a weak smile.

"You don't know how it feels like, don't you?" I stated.

Sighing, he finally responded to me.

"I'm so sorry for you loss, Isaac" DCI Cooper verbalised his sympathy for me that I didn't need from anyone. Because not even a sympathy from the whole world could bring my Chae back. She was already gone. "But don't act like we are all your enemies here" He continued as his voice softened, probably trying a soft approach on me. "The team is working so hard to solve this case, especially Hopkins" My anger flamed in an instant when I heard that name. "You are lucky he didn't issue you with any charges, or you could've been locked up-"

"The only person who is working really hard here is Baxter!" I cut his sentence with a yell, not giving a single care if he was my boss anymore. I guessed I was losing my right mind again. "Could you at least notice him?!"

A different voice joined in after a silence from the matured man. "Isaac?" I turned my head, having Nick in my view as he walked towards me. "Calm down, okay?"

Shoving my hand into my jacket, I took a pen and my notepad out. "Baxter," I uttered as I began to write on the paper. "I need you go to these streets and places-" I paused. "These are the roads Chae always took from Camden Market to underground stations where she changed line, and to Paddington"

Both of the men stared at me quietly as I was remembering the walk Chae and I used to have every time I came to fetch her up at the food stall and go back together to my apartment.

I teared the page after double checking if those street names were correct and I gave it to Nick who was standing next to me.

"I need all CCTV footage you can get at these streets on 27 September starting from 6:25p.m. timestamp" I gave out orders. "We need to check if there was someone following her or what"

"Isaac" DCI Cooper called, grabbing my attention back to him. "You are advised to give 100% cooperation for us to run the procedures, give us any information you think might be helpful" He stated firmly this time. "But not conducting or giving orders to other detectives in the investigation, is that clear?"