Chapter 45 - The Cross ✝️

SURPRISE 37k reads special 💕

Closing the door behind me, my eyes looked around the culprit Lisa's apartment and noticed how clean it was. The sofa pillows were placed neatly, the kitchen counter was shining, and the entire space smelled like lavender floor cleaner.

I sighed, thinking that it must have been Chae who did all this since I asked her to spend her day off at my place. I didn't want her to get bored at her house that only had the free TV channels. Plus, she really loved watching Netflix at my house so I thought it would be nice if she could rest and watch movies for the whole day while waiting for me to come back from work.

If only I knew she would do some clean ups, I would have warned her not to.

The sound of the shower entered my ears as soon as I opened the bedroom door, getting the answer to my inner question that asked about where Chae could be since I wasn't greeted by her voice when I arrived.

"Lisa?!" Her voice echoed from the bathroom, probably hearing the noises I made. "Is that you?!"

"Yeah, it's me!" I half shouted as I placed my watch on the dresser and took off my jacket after that.

Chae didn't talk again because nobody would want to scream in the bathroom just to have a normal conversation with someone outside of it. She was probably rushing her shower too since I was already home, and she hated to make me wait for her even though I wouldn't mind about that at all.

I could wait for her my whole life if I had to.

My legs brought me to the bathroom door while I unbuttoned my sleeves, rolling them up and stopping when the fabric almost reached my elbows. The noise of the water hitting the floor had gotten even louder, knowing that I was close enough to where my girlfriend was in at the moment.

So I pushed my head closer to the door as I began to get nervous all of the sudden.

"Chae, baby?" I called softly, hoping that she could hear me from the other side of the room.

"Yes, love?"

"May I come in?"

She didn't answer me, as expected. It was almost like an abrupt silence; muting herself from responding with the answer she had to give. She could be surprised by my question since it wasn't anticipated in any way, or she just wasn't comfortable with me seeing her taking a shower.

So I decided to let it passed because Chae was a soft woman anyone would need to take it easy with.

"That's alright, baby" I let out a small smile even though she couldn't see it, ready to walk away from the door. "I'll just wait for you out here"

"C-come in"

She answered instantly, sounding like she misunderstood my sentence with that slight panic in her tone. I knew what she was thinking at the time. She must have had thought I was sulking because of her silent response and felt guilty if she didn't let me go in.

So she unwillingly gave her permission for me to open the bathroom door.

"Baby, it's alright if you are shy-"

"Come in, Lisa" She called for me with her usual, soft kind of tone I heard every single day but even that drummed my heart worse at this point. "Please...?"

I blew my cheeks out, getting a little jumpy as I cracked my knuckles to loosen the muscles along my fingers that suddenly felt like they were tensed. What is wrong with me?

My hand grabbed the door handle, holding it for a while since my chest had gotten so heavy even before I could press down and push it.

"Lisa?" Chae's voice echoed again, probably waiting for the door to be opened but I was taking longer than she expected.