Chapter 2 - The Heating

I threw my phone on the island counter, which was where it was originally placed throughout the entire dinner that I just had. My legs waited for nothing as they pulled me back to the sink, giving not even half of my attention back to the dishes. But the device screamed again as if I ignored it when it first rang. I didn't and never did. Answering it earlier what was put my mind into this jungle of thoughts and worries.

Sighing, I stopped my hands from washing the remaining cutlery in the sink as I remembered about a place I really wanted to be in; my hometown. If I could wish for it at that time, I definitely would. It was because doing dishes in a house I grew up in had always been calming no matter how tiring it was, thanks to the beautiful view of the hills that could be seen from the window. This apartment on the other hand could only offer a wall that was mounted with marble backsplash above the sink, and you had no choice but to look at it as the only scenery available. Boring.

So I spun around one more time, hand grabbing the phone while it was still ringing. But a voice that came from the living area announced its strictness, making me doubt my decision at that time.

"Put it down"

I brought my gaze to its owner and our eyes were connected straight away, telling me that I was actually being watched without realising. Because as far as I noticed, those eyes were fixed on the TV earlier when I answered the first call.

"Put the phone down, Chae"

I was debating with the urge to either oblige or object the voice.

"Lisa, it's-"

"Your dad again" She interrupted my sentence since she already knew who just tried to reach me. "He just called you 10 seconds ago"

"He probably forgot to tell me something"

"Yes, he forgot to ask you for some money"

I ran my eyes away, feeling the threat to cry and get mad at the same time. I didn't like it when she talked that way, especially about my father. I never liked it and she was aware of that. But as far as our relationship went, she would never care if I was hurt by her words. The Lisa I loved was never a partner who would tell me lies and comforting words just to make myself feel better. She was never that kind of a human. That was because she only told me the truth, even if I would get hurt by it.

So I grabbed my phone again, trying to make a call that I didn't answer earlier.

"See?" Lisa spoke with a different tone of voice this time; rougher. "This is your problem!"

"I just want to make sure he's alright"

"How can he be alright? He's running out of money!"

Listening to the beep through the phone, I still wanted to defend my action no matter how much I knew that Lisa was right all along. "I'll help him then. That's all I can do"

"Great, and I'll have to help you when you don't have money at the end of the month"

"What is that supposed to mean?" I put the phone away when my call wasn't answered and I didn't even bother to redial. It was because I found something else that worth more of my attention. "I never asked for your money-"

"Should I let you starve then?" Her voice was round and full, just like how her eyes looked like. "I know what you think of me, Chae. I'm the bad one, I have a cold heart, but at least I'm not that cruel to ask money from someone I love until she doesn't have any left even to buy some bread!"

I was shut to that, realising how mad she had been when I fought her for what I thought was right to do. And the fact that she indirectly stating her feelings towards me, which was very rare for her to, made me feel the relief I needed from this heating argument.