Chapter 16 - The Search

I finally left Barking Tube Station after almost an hour journey from Victoria due to the usual peak hours time. People were all rushing back home from work.

But not me.

My time was still ticking and I wouldn't waste any second of it until I found what I looked for.

No one could stop my steps this time as I was running to a place that I intended to go before DCI Cooper stopped me at the corridor earlier, which was definitely Chae's house. I made it as the first place I needed to go since I already told Hopkins the address and they would prepare search warrant later.

I had to go there before anyone in the MIT would. I had to look and take any clue I found to my own self before they did. Because I wouldn't trust a single soul with the evidence except Baxter.

"Good evening, Mrs. West" I greeted when a door in front of me was opened, looking at a  woman in her early 50s who owned the house Chae and Natalie rented just next door.

"Good evening" She greeted back, repositioning her glasses.

"I'm Detective Lisa Isaac, MIT"

"Ah, detective!" She exclaimed. "I remember you at the BBQ!"

I smiled. "Yeah, that's me who dropped a whole bowl of black pepper sauce"

She laughed a little with me before she spoke again.

"Detective, I'm so sorry about Chae" The woman addressed her regrets. "She was a lovely, sweet person"

"Thank you, Mrs. West" I responded. "She really was"

She backed away a little, opening the door wider. "Please come in, detective!"

"That's alright, ma'am. I can't stay long" I declined politely. "I just need something"

"What can I help you with?"

"I need the key for the house Chae rented," I answered. "I've got to conduct some search in her bedroom"

Mrs. West took her own time before she could give me any response, and I saw hesitation in her body gestures straight away.

"Of course, detective" She said. "But my husband would want to see a search warrant first" She explained because I knew she was reluctant to say no to my request. "Because that house is rented by Natalie as well and she's not around"

"I totally understand that, ma'am. Don't worry, it's the renting policy" I assured the woman. "But I don't have the warrant since this isn't an official search"

Mrs. West was silent again, probably thinking of the reasons why a detective came to conduct a search alone without her team and also a warrant.

"I'll ask my husband about it later, detective"

"Oh, he isn't home?"

"No, his shift ends at 10p.m."

I brought my head down, sighing when I knew I had no luck in this attempt to enter Chae's room. I couldn't break in either, remembering that I already physically assaulted a law enforcement officer and assaulted an Inspector with vulgar language.

I wouldn't want a home invasion charges to be put on me and my career would be ruined forever.

"But maybe," The woman's voice attracted me back. "I can you let you in before he gets home"

So I walked to the house next door, making my way to the front with a ring of keys that I got from Mrs. West. I didn't wait for anything as I unlocked it immediately, getting in and locking it back from the inside.