Chapter 10 - The Way Back Home

🚫 TRIGGER WARNING 🚫
This chapter contains disturbing scene/writing. Readers discretion advised.

I walked towards the platform when the rumbling sound of the train emerged. My eyes fixed at those cars, staring at them as they were coming closer to where I was standing. Based on the number of people who were also waiting, I could assume that the train wouldn't be so full, but I wasn't sure about other stops they would make later along the way. As for London, it looked like not more than 50 passengers.

Stepping inside the car, I dragged myself to the seat as stated on my boarding ticket. I only brought one backpack with me since I decided to travel light, considering I only had less than 24 hours to spend on my day off. So the backpack I owned was secured on my lap, hugged by the arms instead of being put on the overhead compartment.

The train jolted forward, starting to leave London Euston station in building speed. The familiar view from my window reminded me of my previous trips, coming in and out from this city for years and hoping that I could make anything out of it for my own future. At least, I used to have some dreams for myself even though my mum begged me to stay. I didn't.

I left a town that held most memories of my life because I thought it wasn't enough for me. I used to believe that there was something better anywhere else, in London perhaps, and I chose to prove myself right instead of mum. You are a good daughter, she said. She always said that, but I abandoned the house she purchased to raise a family in. That was how I proved her wrong.

I wasn't a good daughter. I hurt her.

My chest reminded me how much weight it carried, so I closed my eyes since they were no different as well. The weep of sorrow was pulling my throat down as I fought for my own breath, not wanting it to become audible to the other passengers. It was just unfortunate for me when the more I put effort on it, the stronger the urge became, and her voice too.

"Chae?"

I woke up as soon as I heard her voice, feeling how soothing her fingers were as they ran through my hair.

"My baby..." She continued her call as I leaned over to her with my elbows pushed against the mattress.

"Mum, are you alright?" I asked right away no matter how comforting her smile was. It was like my brain was already set to worry about her as quick as it booted up. "I'm sorry I fell asleep-"

"Hey?" She stopped me. "I'm fine, Chae" Her strokes of love moved to my left cheek and stayed there with a soft grip. "Please go to bed, it's late"

Chuckling, I turned my head and gave a quick kiss to her palm.

"What are you talking about?" I teased. "I am in bed"

"Oh!" She let out a small laugh. "Your bed is what I meant"

I sighed, thinking of some other ways to decline her command, politely.

"Can I just sleep with you?" I began to plead even though I already knew what her answer was going to be. "Please?"

"You've been taking care of me the whole day, you are tired" She sounded like she just disapproved my request. "Go sleep in your room, you need to wake up early in the morning"

"Alright," I forced a smile, getting up from the chair and pecking her forehead. "Just ring the bell if you need anything"

"I love you, honey"

Staring at my mother's face, I stretched my lips even more.

"I love you the most" I took a few steps away from her bed, heading towards the door. "See you in the morning"