Chapter 19 - The Message

"Nat-"

"I know" That woman stopped me even before I could complete my sentence, flashing her grin as she grabbed an umbrella that was hung on the wall. "I'll tell you if she comes today"

"I'm just reminding you" I held the front door for her as soon as she stepped out. "Also, could you please give this to her if she shows up?"

Her eyes focused on the small piece of paper in between my fingers that I was about to hand to her. I didn't know if I could still fix things by doing this but I had to give it a try. I hadn't seen Lisa for 3 weeks now. The last time my eyes were blessed by her pretty face was at Paddington Station and I had been wondering if I had hurt her that day. I couldn't stop thinking about the approach she made on me, which I declined because I had to go to work, and also about the possibility of that being the reason why she stopped coming to my stall.

Is she already tired of me? She might be, right? 

Because if I was her, I would have done the same thing. No matter how different she was compared to the woman I had known before her, she was that Lisa Isaac; the best homicide detective in England. She had no reason to keep chasing for someone like me, a stall worker who rejected her twice while there must be other people who were waiting to grab a chance with her. 

"Why should I?" Natalie asked and I noticed about the paper in my grip that was left unaccepted.

"I just-" I withdrew my hand instantly, sighing. "Nevermind. Take care, Nat"

She walked closer to me without a smile on her face anymore. She looked serious, which blew panic into my chest that was now burdening me.

"Why don't you just admit it to me, Chae?"

I swallowed my throat, eyes fixed on hers.

"Admit what?"

"That you like her" She answered. "It's so obvious if you still don't know. That's why I'm telling you now"

I had no idea how to answer her. She might not be the same as the Natalie in my universe. That best friend of mine was fine with a same-sex relationship, she even supported me when I confessed to her that I liked women. The Natalie who was standing in front of me now might not be in the same book, which drove me away from even talking about LGBTQ stuff with her.

"You like that detective, don't you?" Natalie approached the subject again when I still didn't respond to her. "You are so worried about her ever since she stopped coming to buy your yakisoba"

I looked away and stared at the morning view in front of my house. There was nothing as beautiful as the view of my hometown, only another row of houses but it was enough to calm myself from looking into the demanding eyes of Natalie.

"If I say yes, would you be okay?" I got the strength to respond, at last, still being unclear about my answer. 

"I'd need some time to process" She took a pause and her gaze softened when our eyes met again. "But I can surely understand"

"I just don't want to make you uncomfortable with me"

Her legs left the doorstep, walking around our front yard that wasn't even fit for a car to park in. I never witnessed her like this before, she looked like she was genuinely worried and restless. She had a hand massaging her temples and another one was kept in the pocket of her jeans, mouth breathing some heavy breath out.

When I thought she would leave for work after the silence she gave me, I was proven wrong by the turn of her head.

"Do you really like her?"