Chapter 44 - The Plan

"This is getting complicated"

"I know. I'm sorry if I burden you with it"

"I don't mind, Isaac-"

"Lisa"

"Lisa. Yeah, I don't mind"

"Are you sure?" I asked him since I kind of felt bad to throw everything that Chae and I had discussed few hours ago into Baxter's thinking box. "If you are not comfortable with it, you can just admit it"

He turned his head towards me as we walked together towards the police station.

"I actually find it fascinating" Nick stated. "You know I believe in those supernatural and science fiction stuffs, right?"

"Of course but I don't want to mess your life with my personal problems"

Nick shoved his hand into his pocket, probably reaching for his cigarette box. "You told me I'm your best friend?"

"You are my best friend, I just-"

"Then you should mess my life with your problems" He chuckled, taking out something that looked like a small, ball shaped lollipop to me. "So, what's your next plan?"

My attention was drawn to his fingers that were unwrapping the candy, getting distracted by it that slapped away the need to respond to his question. The lollipop ended up in between his lips, and so did his words; letting out question again.

"What?" His voice dragged my eyes back to his that were filled with curiosity. "Do you want one?"

"No, thank you. I don't really eat candy" I smiled when I remembered the only candy I ate was Chae's neck that smelled like one. "I thought you were about to smoke"

He had wrinkles in between his eyes when he heard me.

"Smoke?"

"Yeah, the cigarette"

"I don't smoke" He began to play with the candy as I could hear it clashing against his teeth, making a sound while its handle was also moving outside of his mouth. "I don't enjoy the idea of killing myself"

I nearly laughed at that, remembering one of the things I disagreed with my best friend in my universe. The Nick Baxter I had known for years would always argue with me whenever I nagged about him smoking. He never accepted smoking kills statement, considering his father smoked a pack a day but still healthy. Trying to convince him to quit was like unresolved war and it had always been one hell of a battle.

But I was glad I didn't have to go through the same thing with the other Nick since he was already on my side.

"So, about your plan?" He claimed for my answer again.

"I have some but they all sound crazy," I responded, tucking my hair behind the ear. "And deadly"

"You already did some crazy and deadly things," He laughed a little. "Nobody would just sell her soul, travel to a different universe, and piss a demon off. Who would do those things like you?"

I joined his laughter as if I was mocking my own stupidity and bravery that not even once I would ever regret of being. If I stayed with my scepticism, I wouldn't have met Chae again after her death and probably wasting my time and energy to chase a nonexistent suspect of the murder. It was because I chose to work with my heart instead of my detective brain and I got the chance to experience stuffs that changed my perspective towards the life itself.

I could state that I was really proud of my stupidity.

"I know," I chuckled. "But this time it's going to be deadly, for real"