Chapter 42 - The Deceit

Time. It froze again when the person Chae loved the most slipped out from life. If only the agony she was dwelled in didn't weigh her chest at that time, she would have screamed her lungs out, not caring if she couldn't breathe afterwards. It was a moment of silence; almost nothing went through her ears as she kept Lisa's lifeless body on her lap. And she didn't even have the strength to call for her girlfriend, knowing that Lisa was no longer there with her.

Lisa was gone; she died in the universe she was born in.

Sniffling, Chae gently ran her fingers down Lisa's eyelids to close them. It was getting harder for her to breathe when sobs and cries were fighting to escape from her mouth, yet she forced a smile on her lips as she stared at Lisa's face. Her fingers made their ways to the woman's hair, stroking them while her other arm pulled Lisa close.

"I'm so sorry-" Chae whispered, planting soft kisses at the side of Lisa's head. She would love to have one last hug with her girlfriend, hugging tight in her embrace for as long as she still had the time to. Because Lisa must have already crossed over to the afterlife, unlike her-a floating soul. She would stay afloat forever. She wouldn't get the same chance to hug Lisa again, but she was more concerned if her touches would hurt Lisa, so she treated the body as kind as she could.

"I love you..." She said with more tears leaving her eyes. "I love you so much, Lisa. Please don't forget me."

Sadness. Her emotion was filled with sadness until she didn't feel like travelling and knowing another Lisa again. She just wanted to stay there, having her one and only Lisa in her arms, and she applauded that woman. The Lisa she had known would have been disappointed; the detective would have called this a failure. But for Chae, it definitely was not. Lisa had done her best. She always did. Chae knew how tiring it must have been for Lisa, emotionally and physically. Both of them were exhausted in this journey, and Chae honestly thought Lisa deserved to rest. If many universes ago she had caught Lisa from falling off the balcony, fearing death and its vicious ways in separating her from Lisa, it was different for Chae this time.

She let Lisa go.

But as she was focused on her own feelings and thoughts, an unnatural wind alerted Chae to a menacing presence behind her. With a terrified gasp, she turned around to face Lucifer, who was in his true form; a massive, lean muscular body flanked by an enormous pair of black feathered wings.

Lucifer kept a straight face, standing in front of two human beings he hated the most and staring at Lisa's cold body before raising his eyes toward Chae.

"She was stubborn and stupid" He initiated a conversation with another soul he thought he would still have the chance to drag into his place. "I hope you are nothing like that, or...are you?"

Chae didn't respond, her eyes fixed on a demon she never expected to meet in person. She was still in shock, trying so hard to deal with the death of her girlfriend as if the first Lisa's wasn't dreadful enough for her to take in. But the hell creature in front of her had his own agenda that she wasn't aware of, considering his failure in having Lisa's soul in his grasp. That was because the soul of the detective was crossing over and going straight to Heaven.

That stupid Michael, Lucifer complained in his heart. Father really granted Michael's last prayer for a human but never forgive me.

Sighing, Lucifer came closer to Chae when he received nothing from her yet.

"I don't want to know what happened between you and Asmodeus. He just let you go when you were supposed to be with him," He continued, his gaze never left Chae's. "Back then you refused to go to hell. That's why you jumped, am I correct?"