Chapter 14 - The Child

"I know you're not," Dad finally responded to me after he took all the time he needed, listening to my confession about where I came from and how I ended up in his universe. "Because I haven't seen my daughter for 5 years"

It was me who was being caged by silence this time, having my eyes full of tears with words that were supposed to be said, yet would never play the honour of how sorry I was feeling. I was sorry for coming when I found out that my visit crack opened the wound in his chest.

He sighed, leaning towards me again like he wanted to continue the conversation even though I was being quiet.

"And you just-," Dad kept his eyes down. "You hugged me. That was something my daughter wouldn't do"

Listening to what dad just said, I received another disappointing piece of puzzle that belonged to the Chae in this universe. It wasn't only about her didn't come back to her hometown that I thought was unbelievable for anyone to shut off their own father that long. It was about her hatred on this wonderful man in front of me as well.

What did he do to deserve such treatment from his child? If being a good parent was the reason for it, then this Chae should meet my dad. They seemed like a better duo for father and daughter.

"Dad, I'm sorry" I apologised for pretending to be his Chae. I should've known that he knew better about the girl he raised, and I couldn't simply run a life that belonged to someone else as if it was mine. I had no idea how the Chae in here operated her universe, or the choices she made and what kind of person she was. "I didn't mean to hurt you"

His hand reached for mine, locking our fingers together.

"Why did you come here?" Dad asked softly. "You knew I'm not actually your dad"

"I wanted to come home," I sniffled when the sadness was too much for me to bear. "I just- I wanted to see my dad"

"Then, this is your home" His calm whisper called for my gloomy soul, seeking to be focused on. "I'm your dad, and you are my daughter"

I dragged my eyes to his when the words he spoke out heal my heart. That was because I knew he meant it. He was so honest with everything he said, and I couldn't help to hold his hand tighter, feeling the tears that dropped from my chin.

I breathed out loud. "You think so?"

"If I understand well about all the things you told me, about this soul travelling and how the universe multiples itself," He responded not only by his voice, but also by the care he put in his grasp. "Without you in your universe, there wouldn't be my daughter in this universe" Dad explained his thoughts that had started to make sense. "Without your dad in your place, there wouldn't be me in here. Right?"

Nodding, I agreed to that conclusion as I felt a lot better about this whole thing. Dad was right. Everything that was happening in here was a reversed reflection to everything that had happened in the previous universe. That made him my father, he was still my father. And Lisa? She was indeed my Lisa.

"But this isn't right, my child" His thumb caressed my skin while his voice was no longer steady, sounding like he was holding his own sadness. "The universe and all inside it are the work of God," He continued. "But not everything is meant to be explored, to be revealed. Some things must remain as God's mysteries, we are just humans" Dad pulled his hand, taking mine with it and resting against his chest. "Every creature of God has its own limitation, and you shouldn't be here"

"I have sinned, dad..." I sobbed. "I didn't know what I was thinking-"

"We are all sinners," He brushed off the regrets in me, probably trying not to push me even farther away from the right path that I should have taken. "Do you know what's the only thing that has no limit?"