Chapter 13 - The Father II

I had experienced spring before, especially in this town; my peaceful Northamptonshire. Spring in countrysides was definitely not like in other major cities you had been to during that season, it was exceptional if I had to put it into a word. But never in my joy and happiness I had ever been caught in this kind of spring before, ever. I could say that it was a once in a lifetime event.

The snow had melted, colour shifting from a plain, comforting white to a dazzling tints of nuances. It was a moment where the days were still touched by the sun even though the light rain might knock a few numbers down to the temperature reading. The beauty of each kind of flowers finally had its spin of roulette to bloom, to be seen, to be admired, and there was nothing else like it. Only in spring, the earth that had been known to be so old, could finally taste the essence of youth and be young again.

That was how I felt, like spring, when I saw my father's wide, teary smile.

"Chae..." He greeted me as soon as his run met its purpose, panting. "You're back!"

I just stood there, not knowing what to do or how to respond to his enthusiasm of meeting his daughter. I froze as my eyes fixed on him, while I forced my brain to at least come out with something. But apparently, even a simple hello dad couldn't be uttered, and my heartbeat wasn't helping to the better either. Everything worked against my will no matter how much I wanted to hug him, having his love and arms around me like a little princess I used to be.

"You should have told me you were coming," His smile eased the thrill of listening to the way he spoke. It was so gentle to my ears. "I could-" He paused as his speech was interrupted, and that was when I noticed the tears in his eyes, forming and hanging painfully. "I could have fetched you at the station"

As far as his fatherly gestures were healing my heart at that time, I was hurt by the sad and glistening stars in his gaze. I didn't know how to explain it but it was just unbearable for me to witness someone who was struggling to smile when the eyes just wanted to cry.

"D-dad..." I managed to call him in the end, still having that subtle chill in my bones. "I'm sorry, I just-" Heavy breath just fled from my lips, and I replaced it with a nervous smile. "I didn't want to trouble you"

I caught the hesitation in the step he made, like he was being careful to stand close to me.

"Oh honey," He sighed. "You'd never trouble me,"

I looked down instantly, grinning as I was getting shy by the way he addressed me.

"How are you, dad?" I glanced at him again, feeling the sudden warmth in my cheeks. "Everything's alright?"

"Yeah, as usual, all good" He answered with a tear flew down his face. "But now it's even better, having you here..."

My smile vanished when I saw more tears began to mark his skin, and so did my anxiety when I just moved a foot, fingers wiping those cries off the smile he kept on. There was no doubt anymore, no fear, no nothing when I decided to touch him. It was because I had never seen him crying before, and only now I figured out that I didn't want to see it ever again.

"No, dad...please," The heaviness in my chest had reached its peak. "Please don't cry, what's wrong?"

He chuckled all of the sudden. "Nothing's wrong, my child" Dad grasped my wrists as I held his face in my hands. "I'm just...happy to see you"

I could feel my own tears rushing forward, blurring my vision in a matter of seconds. So I left everything behind; all that had been hurting me, and I leaned to him with the love I stored only for a man I called father, hoping that he would feel it when our chests met.