Chapter 30 - The Breakfast

I was heating a skillet over medium-low heat, waiting to put in and melt slices of butter when Lisa walked out from her bedroom—beautifully dressed to work. I had taken my eyes away from the stove, which I would only do when Lisa was around. It was never a good idea for me to look away from the food I was cooking, especially if I was working at the stall and I couldn't help to glance at her, even just for a second. I willed to risk my cooking just to see her messy-thoughts face as she waited for her order.

But the expression I saw in front of me was different; no morning smile on her sweet lips, paired with seriousness inside her eyes. She had stopped her walk and stared at me without a word as if I made a mistake or something she didn't approve on. So I turned off the stove right away, feeling my heartbeat go fast in no second.

"Good morning, Lisa."

She didn't reply to me and move her gaze instead, probably looking at her stove before she let out a loud sigh. Her face said it all; she was pissed.

"Are you going to clean that?" She asked, looking and sounding annoyed.

"Yeah, of course" I chuckled, getting nervous. "I'm planning to make breakfast-"

"Good, because I'm already late and I don't have the time to clean" She interrupted me, walking closer to where I was standing.

"Not even for breakfast?"

She seized a glass from the shelf and took water from the dispenser.

"No, I'll grab something on the way."

Sadness began to weigh my chest as I witnessed how aggressive her movements were, and I heard no grace in the way she talked at all. I would love to burden myself with questions in my head—what did I do wrong? Why is she mad? Is it because of me or something else? However, I had fallen too hard for the disappointment I received and didn't get to focus on such thoughts. Her behaviour made me sad, and I had been telling myself that it was fine. It was never fine.

"Make sure you clean everything before you leave, I don't want to come home from a tiring work to dirty dishes in my sink."

"Have I ever left a mess in your house, Lisa? You're mad at me like I have done that before."

She turned her head to me after she swallowed the water in her mouth, eyes glaring with anger this time.

"Excuse me?" She gritted her teeth, probably didn't expect me to talk back to her. "What did you just say?"

"Why do you have to get mad?"

"What?"

"I just wanted to cook you breakfast, you don't have to act this way."

"Chae?"

"Everything I do is wrong to you."

"Chae?!"

I was startled by the shake that was given to my body and saw Lisa's worried face in a flash of an eye. I took a quick look at her hands, both were grasping my shoulders firmly with no sign of drinking glass at all. She didn't hold any glass, she was holding me.

"Baby?" She called softly and brought her hand up, cupping my face with a familiar tenderness she was blessed with. "Hey?"

"Lisa-" I stuttered, feeling the panic rushed into me when I finally realised everything that just happened was only my own imagination of the woman I used to love. "Lisa..."

She slowly leaned in, giving a peck on my lips before she showered me with her care.

"Are you alright?" She asked, slightly brushing my hair. "Who you were talking to?"