Chapter 10

I stared at one of the main suspects in Samantha Young's homicide case, hand gripping an opened file that contained printed images from the CCTV footage we collected from the opposite house at the crime scene. This case was just 2 weeks old and even though we had 4 males and 1 female under our custody, none of them wanted to open their mouths, yet.

That was because we got DNA found in Samantha's vagina matched with 3 out of 4 men we arrested, which made it fell under rape charges so far.

They really played it smoothly and denied everything to do with slicing her vagina, shoving the young girl inside a garbage bag and placing her inside a freezer. Our team never found the knife that was used in the murder anyway, so these suspects were away from murder charges and they kept it that way.

Except for this girl who was sitting in front of me, she and her boyfriend were released without any charges since they claimed they left the party held by Samantha earlier than they should be. The CCTV footage we had also proved that they told truth. They left the crime scene through the front door an hour before the other 3 men exited the house.

And they also testified that Samantha was just fine, having a great time when they left the party.

But I was just being the Lisa Isaac I was known for; a skeptic who was always suspicious and questioned everything I could argue about.

"Miss Lewis," I called, turning the file in my grip for her eyes to see. "I'm sure you already saw these images of you and your-" I paused when her anxious face stopped me from continuing the interrogation. "Are you alright?"

She nodded. "Y-yes"

I hummed, straightening both of my hands on the table as I kept my sharp stare at her.

"Are you scared?" I smiled a little.

"No" She answered after she swallowed her throat, avoiding eye contact with me, which was definitely a good sign.

She just opened a door for me to come in.

"Am I making you uncomfortable?"

"Not really, I just-"

"Didn't expect to see me?"

I cut her sentence as one of my tactics in injecting fear into my suspects. For me, the key element in interrogation was to establish power. Anyone who was in this room with me had to feel that I was in charged.

My suspects must not felt that I needed information from them. That would definitely give the power in their hands, which was not my style at all. Instead, I made them felt like they were the ones who needed to tell me something in order to save themselves.

"Yes," She continued. "I thought I was going to meet Detective Baxter"

I smiled again.

"You were right" I spoke. "I don't really do interrogation. I prefer processing and analysing reports" I pulled away, resting my back against the chair I was sitting on. "But do you know when I would involve myself in interrogation, Miss Lewis?"

The young girl shook her head under uncertainty.

"It's when I found something odd in the previous interrogation that other detectives didn't"

I started to hear foot tapping on the floor that wasn't coming from any of my shoes.

Sighing, I asked again. "Your lawyer have warned you about me, didn't he?"

"Yes"

"Well, you should listen to him" I chuckled. "Can we continue?"

The girl nodded.