Chapter 4

Karina's view

It's been 5 days since I first met Winter and still we don't mind each other's business. She's still that brat girl who gets what she wants and I'm getting suffocated each day. Today is Friday but honestly I'm not excited anymore for the upcoming weekend because I'll be staying for the whole 2 days with her. As long as I want to stay in Giselle's place I can't do it because Winter might do something stupid.

When I arrived here at my apartment I didn't see Winter. Maybe she's out there doing some stuffs or shopping on its own and I really don't care. She's really a pain in my ass.

I'm watching some random videos on my phone when mom calls me.

"Hi mom" I answer the call indisposed.

About my mom? I didn't call her since Monday because I still don't understand why she needs to give the responsibility to take care of that brat to me when in fact it's her bestfriend's child not mine, plus she always tolerates her attitude. That's so wrong!

"Hello baby. How are you? You're not answering my calls this past days" I can sense that she's worrying to me but still I don't like what she's doing to me.

"Sorry mom. I'm just busy with school works and with your Winter"

"Baby are you still sulking about Winter?"

"No"

"No baby, don't deny it. I know you are still sulking about her" I sigh in surrender.

"Fine. I still don't understand why do you need to be on her side everytime even though she's wrong? Is it because she's your bestfriend's child?" I hear her sigh heavily before she answers again.

"Rina I need to tell you something" she answers and by the hint of her voice it's something serious.

"Yes mom?"

"It's about Winter" I immediately sit properly to listen to her carefully. My heart starts to beat so fast again. I don't know why is this happening to me everytime they mention Winter. Nervousness is eating my whole system.

"Remember when I told that Gillian, Winter's mother and me met accidentally in Australia when we were in our business trip?"

"Yes"

"It's not an accident Rina" the nervousness I'm feeling right now is replace with confusion. Did my mother just confessed that she lied to me from the beginning?

"What? Mom are you serious?" my voice raise a bit. I can't believe that my mom, who happened to be my most trusted person lied to me.

"I'm sorry baby. You can get angry at me because I know I was wrong but I have my reason"

"Reason? It's Winter again right? What's with her that y'all protect her like a princess? Mom I'm remindering you that I'm your daughter here not Winter!" I can't help myself but to shout in fury.

"Baby I'm very sorry but please listen to me first" my mom pleads and I breath heavily trying to calm myself down first.

"I know that you're having a hard time dealing with her. I can feel it, but Winter needs our help. Winter needs you" she says in a sad tone.

I rub my temple in so much confusion. I don't know what my mom is saying.

"Mom please spill it now. I don't understand what you're talking about. How come Winter needs my help when I can't even have a proper conversation with her? She's so rude to me and doing things that I can't handle so I don't know if I can stay with her for longer"

"Rina listen carefully" she pauses for some seconds and sigh again heavily.

"Gillian told me that Winter's friend for 11 years died a year ago" she continues and I take aback in her revelation. I want to say something but no words came out from my mouth. Her bestfriend for 11 years died?

"Then Gillian called me for some help because the death of Winter's friend had a profound effect on her. They did noticed that Winter changed a lot but not in a good way. Winter became so quiet and shutting out everyone, even them and it hurts seeing Gillian crying in front of me because of that. They tried everything to help her to move on but Winter just rejected their help and now she's not listening to anyone. That time I thought of you because I think Winter needs a new friend to talk with and she needs a start to a new environment so I offered them to send Winter here in Korea for a while" she explains. This time I manage to calm myself fully but I don't know how to react about everything she said. I feel bad for judging Winter from the very start. I can't imagine myself losing someone that I love but here's Winter, having a hard time from moving on because she lost her bestfriend. I know that hurts a lot but how can I help her?

"Then what can I do to help Winter? Mom you just said Winter is not even listening to her parents so how come I can make her listen to me? She's just doing the same thing towards me and you know that I can't handle a person like her" I tell her feeling guilty because I know I can't do anything to help her. She's not even doing some effort to help herself so it would be hard for her to accept other's help too.

"That's it Rina. Gillian told me that Winter's friend was a responsible and sweet person and I thought that she's just like you so maybe it can help Winter a lot if she will have a new friend that exactly like her late friend. You just need to be patient with her and show her that you're willing to help and be friends with her too" I sigh and think of it for some seconds. I want to help but I don't know if I can make it.

I'm about to answer again when my doorbell rings. "Thank you for telling this mom. I'll think about it. Bye for now. I love you" I say before I end the call.

I hurriedly go to the door and open it to meet a tipsy Winter.

"What the hell Winter?" I almost shout as I catch her from falling on the floor. I notice that I'm swearing a lot this past days, if mom is here then she will probably slap my mouth.

She doesn't answer nor protest when I hold her. I can now smell the alcohol on her mouth.

"W-whooooo errrrr yeeeee?" she asks as she stares at me.

"Winter you're drunk" maybe mom was right. She's doing all of this to forget her friend and move on but her way isn't the best thing to do it. I want to get mad and shout at her for what she's acting but it may worsen her feelings right now.

"Drunkkkk? eymmmm n-not drunk" she giggles like a child. I roll my eyes at her.

I help her to walk through my room then lay her down on my bed. I never let other people sleep in my bed before but look at now.

I sit at the edge of my bed and tuck her remaining hair behind her ear. I stare at her sleeping face who looks so peaceful. I remember the first time I laid my eyes on her. She has this vibe that can intimidate everyone but those eyes of her screams so different. It's so plain that you could mistake her as an emotionless person, that's what I thought but it turns out that she's just hiding her pain behind those cold eyes of her.