Chapter 23

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO OUR PRECIOUS KARINA!

Karina's view

As I step out from the comfort room I meet Winter's gaze but immediately averts it when I caught her.

When she saw her mother yesterday she cried right away. We expected her to speak anything but she haven't until now. She's just there spacing out but sometimes I catch her glancing at me. The doctor said it's a normal reaction for a person who just woke up from a coma so we don't worry much about it.

Mrs. Kim told me that she'll just buy our lunch, leaving me and Winter alone. I want to talk with her but that doesn't sounds a good idea for now since she's always giving me a confused and annoyed look. I just shrug it off because I know to myself that she's still hurting on what I did so I won't talk to her, at least not for now.

I look at Winter but her eyes are already close. Rest is definitely what she needs for the next few months.

I get my book that I brought with me then start reading to kill time. This book sounds good. I love reading since I was a kid. I can vividly remember that my collection of books became my comfort zone when I was still in elementary and high school. I always bring my book whenever I go back then but college days are an exception. My life has been so busy since I enter college so I really don't have a time to read books anymore so being able to read my books again feels so good.

Some minutes have passed before Mrs. Kim comes back with a plastic bag full of snacks.

"Just pick what you want Karina"  she says then put the plastic bag on the small table.

"By the way I didn't know that you love reading books?"  she says so I nod.

"Yep Mrs. Kim. I believe life is boring without books, at least for me"  then she chuckles too. That's when I realize that it's been a long time since I saw her glows like this. She seems dull and devastated this last six months. I mean yeah we all did but I guess as Winter's mother she also felt the pain her daughter's have been through. That thought makes me feel guilty all of the sudden.

"Uh Mrs. Kim I know I already said this but I'm very sorry on what I did to Winter. I didn't think of my actions towards her before so--"  I say but she cuts me off immediately.

"Karina no. Maybe I also got mad at you before but I think this wasn't your fault at all. I'm her mother so she's still my responsibility but I was too drowned on our business that I almost forgot that I have a daughter who's still mourning at her friend's lost..."  she pauses so we fall into silence for a moment.

"I know I can't turn back that time but I promise after this I'll do everything to help her to move forward"  she says wholeheartedly. I can feel that Mrs. Kim really changed now unlike the first time I met her. The old Mrs. Kim that I knew will tell and force Winter to move on without even considering what her daughter truly feels.

Our warm conversation is interrupt when we hear Winter's weak voice.

"M-mom"  she manages to say.

We both look at her in shock but within seconds her mother snaps first between us. She immediately go to her daughter with tears on her eyes.

"Yes Winter?"  Mrs. Kim says but Winter doesn't answer again.

"Karina please call the doctor"  I go back from my senses when Mrs. Kim spoke.

"O-okay"  I say answer.

I'm about to run outside to call for the doctor when Winter asked something that makes me stop.

"Who is s-she?"