Chapter 20

Karina's view

We're now on our second week of semestral break yet Winter is still unconscious. After the accident, I can say that some things changed, some were good and some were bad.

I already told everything to Winter's parents, starting from the fight she got involved that my mother tried to hide until the day I kicked her out of my apartment. Of course as a parent, they got angry and disappointed at me and to my mother but eventually they also think that they also had a fault so they chose to forgive us.

Winter's parents promised that once she wakes up from the coma, her mother will stop helping on their business for a while to take care of Winter. Also, they decided to bring Winter with them back to Australia after this and it made us all sad but I think it's also the best for her, she needs her parents after all.

For Ningning, she always visit Winter every afternoon. I'm so grateful to her for helping Winter, if it wasn't for her then Winter will be homeless or worst will put in harm. And for Giselle I don't exactly know what to say. She's been acting weird this past weeks and I can feel that she's hiding something from me. I tried to ask her but she always change our topic and as her best friend I'm giving her a space for now.

I walk towards Winter's bed then sit on stool besides her bed.

"Hello Winter. It's been 3 weeks and you know what?"  I pause, trying to hold my tears from flowing down.

"In that 3 weeks there were no days that I regret treating you like nothing and hurting your feelings. I don't know if I can forgive myself after this. We really miss you Winter so please wake up very soon"

Evening came and I have nothing to do here but to watch Winter since Winter's parents aren't here anymore, they came back to Australia to get some money and fix some papers regarding their business but they will back here after our semestral break.

I take my phone from my bag out of boredness. Then my notification shows something.

"PLEASE DELETE SOME OF YOUR DATA TO AVOID LAGGING. YOU CAN DELETE YOUR UNNECESSARY FILES, APPLICATIONS, MESSAGES, AND CALL LOGS"

I haven't delete some of my messages and call histories from everyone since the accident happened, including our teachers saying "Get well soon" to Winter. Maybe I should delete messages and call logs first.

Once I finished deleting almost a hundred of messages I open my call histories. Geez I still need to choose what to delete one by one since some of the recorded call here were from the police officers that investigated the accident. I don't want to delete those because I want Winter to hear it too, I just think it's also her right to know what happened while she's in coma.

As I scroll down I see something strange. I saw a call from Winter the day of the accident and I declined it?

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. I can't remember that Winter called me that day?

I try to remember everything that happened that day, hoping that I can still remember it.

I clearly remember that day was also the day when I woke up in Giselle's house because I got drunk the night before. Right that was it. Then I took a shower to freshen up my mind and mood. And then I heard my phone rang when I was still in the shower so I immediately went outside to check my phone but then I saw my phone in Giselle's hand already. Wait--

I look the time she exactly called and it was 8:31 in the morning. Good thing I haven't delete the hospital's call to me so I check what time did I received the call from the hospital and it was 8:39 so meaning it was 8 minutes after Winter called me and it also meant one thing. The ring that I heard while I was in the bathroom was Winter and not a wrong call based on what Giselle told me.

My heart drops as I realize everything. Is this real? Did Giselle just lied about the wrong caller who happened to be Winter. Maybe that's why she's acting weird all this time because that's what she's trying to hide me.

Anger flared up into me. I feel so betrayed right now! Why did Giselle lied to me about this?! What was her exact reason on this?

Probably Winter wanted to talk with me that day because she was last seen on my apartment and even tried calling me but Giselle declined it.

Without thinking I pick up my car keys. I need to go to Giselle right now. I don't care if it's almost 10 in the evening. I want to know the truth, Winter didn't deserve what she did!

Soon enough I reached Giselle's house. I knock on their door and her mom is the one who opens it.

"Oh Karina what are you doing here at this hour?"  she asks sweetly. I can't implicate to her mother my anger that I'm feeling right now so I force a smile before I speak.

"I just need to ask something to Giselle Mrs. Uchinaga so can you please call her? I'll wait here"  I say politely.

After some minutes I see Giselle coming. I observe her and she looks sleepless and lost her weight too.

"Rina"

"Let's talk in my car"  I say coldly.

Once we reach our car I let out frustrated sigh. I want to shout at her but I can't because she's still my best friend after all.

"Let's get straight to the point. I already knew what you're hiding from me Giselle"  I say without looking at her.

"W-what do you mean?"  she asks.

"Giselle just stop pretending. I already knew it so there's no point of pretending anymore. All I want to know is why did you do that?"  then we fall into silence.

"Giselle for Pete's sake you're my best friend so why did you lied to me?!"  this time I can't help myself but to burst out in anger. Really? Of all the people?

Then she burst out crying.

"I-I'm very sorry Rina. I didn't m-mean to do that"

"But why Giselle?! Did I do something bad to you to do this kind of thing huh?!"  I shout again. Good thing we're inside my car so no one can hear us.

"Look Rina, I tried to say it to you but the fear of losing our friendship overshadowed me"  she says, her tears are still flowing on her face.

"Losing our friendship? But you already ruined it by lying to me! And I don't get why you did that?!"

"I just did that because I don't want to see you crying again. Can't you see? Since Winter came, your life been so messed up"  she says. Silence falls between us because I know what she said was true, I try looking for word to say but I can't. Maybe she's right but that doesn't mean that she needed to do that to Winter.

"I'm very sorry Rina. I promise you, once Winter wakes up I'll tell all about this to her but please don't be mad at me. I don't want to lose everything we have"  she pleads. This time I manage to stare at her eyes. I want to understand her but anger is topping my emotion.

"I... I don't know"  I say then look away from her stare.

"Okay fine. I understand. I deserve this after what I did"  then we fall into silence again. Then I glance at her, tears aren't there anymore but I can see the pain and tiredness through her eyes.

"Don't worry I'll fix this. I just hope Winter will wake up soon"  she says after a minute of silence then get out of my car.

I stare blankly outside my window, gathering my strength to drive back to hospital. I can't believe my life changed in a span of 5 months. I almost lost Winter then now Giselle, the only person that saved my ass since last year. If this continues for another months then I don't know anymore. This isn't the college life I was expecting before. I know college is challenging and I love challenges but this isn't the kind of challenge that I was preparing for.

~
(A/N: Guys I'm sorry for all of the drama scenes. This kinda having me a hard time to write so I decided to make this a thriller. Nah just kidding but don't worry everything's will be alright but not for now. Life isn't life if there are no challenges so yeah just be patient. By the way, HAPPY 3K+ READS! I know this story gives you so much stress and heartache but you still read and support it so thank you very much!)