Chapter 18

Winter's view

The sunrays coming from the outside hit my face, causing me to wake up. Today is Saturday and as usual I have nothing to do here in Ningning's house except to help for some household chores.

I hear a knock on the door.

"Come in"  I say, followed by a yawn.

Then Ningning's head pop out on the door.

"Good morning"  she greets.

"Morning"  I reply then grin at her.

"How was your sleep?"  she asks.

"Fine I guess?"  I answer unsure. After what happened last night I didn't sleep easily not until past 2 in the morning.

She just nods as if she understands what I mean. "By the way, breakfast will be ready in 10 minutes so you better go down now"

"Oh okay. I'll be there in 5, thanks Ningning"

She gives me a smile before she closes my door then leave.

My phone rings in the midst of our breakfast. I gulp when I see the caller, it's Mrs. Yoo. Okay what's with them messaging me and calling me in uncertain time?

"Karina?"  Ningning breaks the silence.

"Uh nope, it's her mother"  I look at her and she gives me a go-answer-it look. I sigh in defeat. Me and Karina maybe not in good terms but not to her mother.

I mouth an "excuse me" to Ning's family, they just smile and nod as an approval.

I go to the living room, away from them to have a privacy. I cleared my throat first before I answer the call.

"Hello Mrs. Yoo?"  I answer, trying not to stutter in nervousness.

"Oh hey Winter. I'm sorry if I call you this early"  she starts speaking.

"Ah no Mrs. Yoo, it's fine. Anyway is there any problem?"

"That's why I'm calling you..."  I sense a slight worry on her tone.

"Karina seems off since this weekend but I can't think of any reason. Then I tried contacting her last night but she didn't answer my calls. Winter please tell me the truth, what's going on with Karina?"  that's it. My hearts races inside my chest. I almost forgot that Mrs. Yoo still doesn't know my condition now. I suddenly feel guilty, Mrs. Yoo doesn't deserve this but this is just the only way I know to get rid of any trouble. If I can keep this way until I find my own apartment then I will.

"Uh I-I'm not sure Mrs. Yoo but I guess Karina was just tired from school stuffs. Yeah right from school stuff"  I cringe to myself. I sounds like an idiot everytime I lie.

"Then why she didn't answer my call last night?"  that's when I realize her words. How could she didn't answer her mother when in fact she sent me messages between 9 to 10 last night? Wait-- what if something happened??

"Winter please just tell me"  Mrs. Yoo says, more likely pleading.

"Because uh because she slept so early last night and uh her phone was uh-- was off. Yeah right she slept earlier and her phone was off that's why"

"Are you sure?"  she asks unconvinced, then I hear Mr. Yoo's voice calling her on the background.

"Winter we need to go now. If Karina wakes up then please tell her that message me asap okay? I'll call you next time"