Chapter 22

Ningning's view

*3 months later*

I take my sketch pad and pencil out of my bag. First, I draw a big circle loosely in the center and by that I let my hand flow freely on the sketch that I'm currently doing. Eventually my hand get tired so I decide to take a break. I take that time to see my unfinished sketch and without knowing I find myself smiling. I'm glad that my drawing skill didn't change at all.

"Look Winter! I draw you but it's not yet done"  I say. No matter how I try to hold on my tears it still manage to escape.

"I miss you so much. I hope you're resting well. You don't have to worry about anything. We're fine here"  I say as I let my tears flow down.

I don't exactly know how to describe what we're feeling as of now, knowing that Winter is already half year in coma. Almost everyone looks so sleepless and tired for the passed months. Despite of that, her family, classmates, Karina, and me still have our hopes that Winter will come over this sooner.

Speaking of Karina, we got closer since we had our first conversation. She's such a sweet and generous person that's why I really like her company. If I were given a chance before to have an older sister then it would definitely be her.

I take my sketchpad and walk towards Winter. I compare my sketch to her. I want to give this to her when she wakes up. For the past six months Winter's appearance changed too. Her long blonde hair is now shorter because it just worsening her bedsore, her fair skin is now paler that made her almost looks like a vampire, also she lost weight but we don't see that as a negative as long as she's alive we're fine with it.

As if God heard my prayer, Winter's index finger suddenly moves. I thought I was just imagining things so I call her name to see if she will response.

"Winter?"  then it moves again that makes me freeze for a moment, processing what just happened.

"Oh my God..."  I blurt out then put my hands over my mouth in shock. It is really happening.

I hurriedly run to call for a nurse. It seems like I can't hear anything while running except my own heartbeats.

"Winter Kim is awake!"  I say when I reach them panting.

One of them commands to call Winter's doctor while she goes with me back to Winter's room.

'Karina needs to know this'  I thought.

By that I go outside of the room and let the nurse check her. My hands are trembling but I manage to send my message to Karina.

As soon as Karina replied, my tears start running down through my cheeks again but this time in happiness. This is it. After months of waiting Winter is now awake.

---

Karina's view

Time seems running so slow. I playfully spin my pen using between my fingers while waiting for our current subject to end. I thought second semester will be fun than the first but it feels so harder for me now. Activities surge like a storm that ruin my remaining happiness which is rest. I didn't even have my time to visit Winter everyday, maybe just thrice a week only. My mood lifts up as I remember that today is Friday so I can visit Winter later. The thought makes me excited.

The bell rings, indicating for our very last period.

"Finally"  I mumble to myself.

I quickly gather my things and as I step out of the room the cold air of December whips through my face that makes me shiver. Winter officially started 10 days ago meaning there's a few more days left before Christmas and New Year but it doesn't excite me at all. After all what happened to me this year I don't think I can be able to celebrate those holidays unless Winter gains her conscious again. It's just sad to think that it's already Winter season yet the Winter that I knew isn't here.

I sigh before I continue heading on my last class. Other students fill in inside the lecture room and soon we start our lesson.

Out of the blue I feel so nervous without any reason. I really don't like this because everytime I feel like this then bad thing follows as always.

I flinch a bit when my phone vibrates inside my pocket. Also, my heart leaps because of that.

I contemplate if I should check my phone or not because we're in the middle of our lesson. After some seconds of thinking I decide to sneak.

When our professor starts writing on the whiteboard I take that as a chance to read the message. It was from Ningning.

Ningning: She's awake

I gasp loudly, which I gain some looks from my colleagues but they immediately look away when I lift up my head. Luckily our professor didn't hear it.

I reply to Ningning, saying I'll go straight to the hospital after my class.

I glance at the time and I still have more than half an hour before the dismissal.

---

I can't help myself but to feel overwhelm over Ningning's message. When the bell rang I hurriedly went out of school to go all the way to the hospital.

As I get nearer I can feel the excitement to see Winter and at the same time fear on how will she react once she sees me.

I let out a big sigh, calming myself before I get out of my car. 'Just think positively Karina. Nothing bad will happen. What you need to do is to go there calmly and see her'  I encourage myself then trudge my way over her room.

I'm on my halfway when I hear Ningning calls my name. I turn my head to look at her and she's running through my direction.

"How is she? Is she fine or what??"  I ask panickly to her once she reach my place. She just smile at me that makes me feel relief a bit.

"Don't worry she's fine. They're checking on her now"  she says. Instead of answering her, I give her a tight embrace, she tense at first but relax herself eventually and wraps her arms around me.

"I can't describe how happy I am right now. Finally after all the storms we've been through she's finally coming back to us"  I say.

"Same here"  then I break away from our hug. When I face her again, I see her eyes getting watery that I assume because of so much happiness.

"Do you want to see her now?"  she asks so I nod right away.

When I knock on the door one of the nurse opens it. Everyone's back including Winter's doctor and two other nurses are facing us so I can't see her immediately.

"Oh Ms. Yoo come inside"  the nurse who opened the door speak so the other three look at us.

I go inside first then Ningning follows. They seems quiet when I enter.

"How's Winter doc?"  I ask the doctor but he just give way to me instead of answering. When I look at Winter's bed different emotions swarms into me.

Her eyes are already staring right at me. She still looks weak but I don't care. I trudge my way through her, her eyes are still on me.

"I miss you"  are the words that come out from my mouth. I expect her to smile or an excitement but it doesn't happen, instead her eyebrows are knitted.

All of the sudden my heart falls apart. Right she's still mad at me.

"I'm s-sorry"  I say but the look on her face is still there. Winter please don't do this to me. This wasn't what I'm expecting to see.

That's when Mrs. Kim barges inside in a hurry.

"Where's my daughter?"  she asked.

I take that as a cue to step back from Winter to give way to her mother. Maybe Winter doesn't like my presence here. Right why did I even expected too much after what I did to her? I should have known better.

~
(A/N: So how was it? I'm getting hype now on writing this because the thrill is just coming)