Chapter 33

Karina's view

My heart is hammering inside my chest as I drive my way home. I take a glance at Giselle using my rearview mirror and she's busy looking outside the window. After our classes, we decided to do our practice in my apartment since the Dean didn't want us to practice in school to avoid any sabotage. We agreed to practice four hours every weekdays and six hours every weekend. She says we will be performing rap and dance on foundation day and I feel proud for her when she suggested her own rap while I do the dance break.

The whole ride is filled with silence and the only thing that I can hear is my own heartbeat. Eventually we come to a stop on the building's parking lot. Giselle steps outside first then I follow after I unbuckled my seatbelt. Again, the atmosphere becomes awkward when we enter the elevator going to the very last floor. Geez I wish this will end so quick.

Once we reach the last floor I get my keys inside my bag then unlock my door. I hold the doorknob to let Giselle enter but when I look at her she's zoning out again.

"Giselle come in"  I say then she looks at me unaware of everything.

"Uh yeah thanks"  she then enters inside as I toss my bag on the nearby table.

"You can sit on the couch. I'll just get our drinks"  I tell to her and she just nods her head. I watch her walk through the living room and I can't help myself but to feel guilty for the moment. I know it's been months since the accident happened and I could forgive her and talk to her again like before if I want to but it's not that easy for me.

She catches me staring at her so I turn my back to go to the kitchen. I open my fridge then look what are available inside and there are varieties of snacks but I pick Custard Cakes and Banana Milk. I know Giselle loves Custard Cake.

I'm about to go back to Giselle when I hear a sound of breaking glass coming from the living room. I drop the snacks in my hand in shock. I then hurriedly run to the living room to see a dumbfounded Giselle and when I look down broken glasses are scattered on the floor. I stand there in astonish for the moment.

"K-karina I didn't mean to break it"  Giselle blurts out panickly. She bends over and starts picking the broken glasses while I watch her doing it until blood flows out of her finger.

"Oh my gosh"  I express then sprint towards her. I hold her hand and I get panic when her breath becomes unstable and she's shaking badly too. When I glance up at her face there are tears falling already.

"I-I'm so sorry... It's an accident. It slips--"  I immediately stops her.

"Giselle stop. You need to calm down"  I say then hold her shoulder to make her focus to me.

"Look at me and follow my breathing okay?"  I start breathing in and out slowly to regulate her breathing again.

Not long after I made her calm down a bit and now we're sitting on the couch. I just finished cleaning and wrapping her wounded finger in a bandaid. She's staring blankly on the floor and I'm getting worried now because she's been like that for almost 30 minutes. This is the first time I see her like that and she looks not the Giselle that I know.

"How's your feeling?"  this is my fourth time asking her that because she's not responding on me. This time she looks at me and she looks like in a verge of crying again.

"Tell me what's wrong"  I say worriedly. She stares at me for the moment before she speaks.

"Karina I'm very sorry"  she keeps on saying that and I keep on telling her that it's fine. It's only a picture frame though.