Chapter 40

Karina's view

Winter will definitely like this place like the first time we went here.

"Uh, Karina?"

"Hmm?"

"We're not going to the forest, are we?"  she asks which makes me chuckle.

"Seriously Karina. What came to your mind that made you bring me to this kind of place?"  she says panicking.

"Winter just chill okay?"  I suddenly remember the first time we went here because she thought that I would kill her.

She didn't stop ranting about me dragging her to a quiet place like this until I stop walking.

A smile automatically appears on my lips. It's still the same. (Please refer to chapter 9 for the picture)

I won't change any pennies for this place.

"Karina if you won't tell me why are we here then-- oh my gosh"  she stop ranting when she finally sees the breathtaking fall.

"Is this for real?"  she then walks closer to see if it's true or not.

"So what can you say about this place?"  I ask, smiling.

"This looks so... surreal. I mean this looks like a damn paradise"  she says then plays with the water like a kid.

"See? I know this will work"  I whisper.

"How come you know this kind of place?"  she asks amusingly.

I start telling this kid how I discovered this place like the first time I told it to her. It feels so good to talk like this to her again after what we went through the past months.

Once I finished I chuckle as her face still have that unbelievable look.

I can't hide my smile as I watch her having her moment. She looks so innocent that you won't think that she's the Winter that I hate the first time I met her.

Once in my life, I didn't expect that I will meet someone like her. Someone that put me into a rollercoaster ride of emotion. I know that she's going into something since then but I chose to ignore it.

Now, I want her to feel that she deserves to live a happy life like this. I want to see the Winter before Aika died but I don't think that will still happen because no one knows how long they will stay here in Korea.

-

Winter's view

We end up sitting on this big rock while waiting for the sun to set. I'm loving this kind of silence. The only silence that feels so comfortable.

"Karina thanks"  I say without looking at her but can still feel her eyes on me.

"For what?"

"For this. I love being here... with you"  I want to say out loud the very last words but I chose not to.

"Good to know that"  she replies then we fall into another silence.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Yep"

"How can you tell if you like someone?"  I see how her reaction changed to surprise but still manage to speak up like it isn't a big deal.

"Honestly speaking I don't have any idea too but I remember what my mom told me when she met my father..."

"Really? I think your parents are so cool as a couple"  I say but then she starts chuckling.

"Yes. When they're together they still act like a teenage couple that sometimes I feel cringe already"  she confesses.

"My mom once told me that she never thought that she would marry my father. Back then, my mom was like any other typical high school girl who only loves her books while my dad was a campus heartthrob as they said. Their love story was complicated to tell but they still ended up dating"  she shortly explained.

"So did your mom told you how did she realize that she likes your father or whatever?"

"Well uh at first she started feeling those butterflies whenever she sees my father. It was like it started with a little crush. Then one time, my mother saw him walking with a girl. If you could only see my mother's face when she told me this then you would think that she was a bit psycho"  she starts giggling again but stops eventually.

"So back to the story, she saw them walking sweetly and that was the first time my mom felt jealousy. She even cried that very night"

"Woah that was some crazy high school days"  I responded laughing.

"Yeah I agree"  then we both laugh for the nth time.

"So what's with the question?"  she asks so I feel all my blood goes into my face.

"Tell me. Do you like someone, are you?"  she gives me that mocking face.

"H-huh? Of course not"  my heart starts pounding inside my chest.

"You're lying. Come on tell me who is it?"  she then starts tickling my waist.

"Oh my gosh! Karina, please stoppppp HAHAHAHAHA!"  I protest as she continues tickling my side. I run to the other side to avoid her.

"No, I won't unless you tell it to me right here and right now"  she says then starts chasing me.

We run there and here like a child chasing each other. It's tiring but it's fun.

I hide behind the tree but it becomes quiet again that I start feeling worried.

"Karina?"  I try to call her but there's no response.

"Where are you? Please come out already"  I say in a serious tone but still, there's no response from her.

"If you think that this is funny well it's not"

My anxiety arises. Where did she go?

"Karina stop this or else--"

"Boo!"  In a swift motion I turn around to see her but the next thing that happened leaves me dumbfounded.

Her soft lips is touching mine. It happened too quickly that no one can move or even blink between us.

We hear a phone ringing just in time so we snap back in reality.

Karina immediately avoids my gaze then picks her phone from her pocket, her hands are trembling.

"Uhm h-hello mom"

I leave her alone then I sit under the tree, processing what just happened. I want to disappear right away. I know it was an accident but it shouldn't happen.

I flinch when Karina calls me.

"Winter let's go. They already looking for us"  she says like nothing happened at all.

"A-alright. Let's go"  I say.

We pause there for seconds, waiting for the both of us to move.

"Yeah right I should walk first"  I say then starts walking as I hear her follows behind. The atmosphere suddenly becomes awkward.

When we reach her car, I decided to sit in the back instead of in the front. We remain quiet as we make our way back to my house. Maybe like me, she doesn't want to talk about it for now. There's no need to talk about it right? We both know that it was an accident so I guess this will be just another history tomorrow.

~
(A/n: So another change of plot 🤣)