Chapter 43

Karina's view

"Rina, please! I'm very hungry"  Giselle complains as she crosses her arms.

"Gigi five more minutes please?"  I plead as I continue typing on my laptop. We're currently here in the library, doing our research. Our professors went to a meeting this afternoon so we had half of the day to do whatever we want but I chose to do this research instead.

"C'mon Rina we've been here for three hours now. We also need a break"  I don't answer her anymore so she will stop bothering me and she does.

When I give her a glance she's zoning out of the window. I think she's really hungry right now and I don't want her to starve because of me.

I check the time on the wall clock and it currently reads 4:37 in the afternoon. I decided that's enough for today.

"Fine. Let's go now. I'll treat you snacks before we go home"  I say as I stuff my things inside my bag. She immediately looks at me and I see her smile.

"Finally Rina! Thank you!"  she says then hurriedly stands up as she hangs her bag on her shoulder. It somehow makes me chuckle.

We left the library after two minutes. To make our way short, we took the campus field where students are busy playing their sports. They really enjoy this free time.

"Rina, how was your trip? You haven't told me anything about it yet"  Giselle says out of nowhere while we're trudging our way.

"What trip?"  I ask back confused.

"I mean the trip where you and Winter went in your hometown last week. Anything news?"  I stop on my track and quickly look away when she mentioned Winter.

Since that kiss happened I've been trying to drown myself with my school works. No one knew about that and I somehow want to stay that that way. I know to myself that it was an accident but I can't imagine myself talking things like that especially that it was Winter with whom I shared a kiss. In fact, at this very point, I don't know if I'm just afraid that people will know about it or if I'm just acting on myself lately.

"C'mon Rina tell me something"  she says excitingly.

"I uh..."  I start, trying to look for any word to say but nothing comes out.

I'm about to say my old excuses again when someone shouts my name.

"Karina watch outttttt!"  I turn my head to look at what's going on and my eyes go wide when I see a ball coming in my direction. I wasn't able to know what happened next when something fell right at me that made my body falls on the ground.

"Oh my God! Are they alright?!"

"Shit that hurts!"

I hear different voices around me but can't recognize them cause my eyes are still closed. I try to move but end up whining out of pain and the heavy thing above me just making it worse.

I slowly open my eyes. To make this situation worst, the heavy thing above me is a person, not a thing. I can't see the person's face clearly because my vision is still blurred but I know exactly that this person is a she.

"Hey, are you fine?"  I ask then she starts moving. She carefully lifts her body so that made a little space between us but she's still above me. I slowly look at her face and my heart starts pounding in my chest when I realize that it's Winter. My breath is hitching as our faces came face to face. I know her body sores too from our fall so she can't stand properly.

We are both looking straight into our eyes confused, my heart can't stop pounding like crazy. If I wasn't getting hit by the ball then does that mean Winter just saved me from it?

Our staring contest breaks when Giselle goes to us.

"Gosh Rina and Winter! That almist gave me a mini heart attack!"  she helps Winter first to stand up then proceeds on me.

"Good thing Winter was there to protect you or else you're in the clinic right now and unconscious"  Giselle says worriedly as she examines my body if I got hurt. I don't have any wounds but my body is still sore.

I glance at Winter who's busy shaking off the dirt out of her uniform.

"Miss are y'all alright?"  a male student approaches us.

We all look at him and based on her look, he's a freshman.

"I'm the one who almost hit you with the ball and I'm deeply apologizing because of that. I didn't mean to do it miss"  he apologizes, directly at me. I observe his reaction if he's sorry for what he did because it almost hurt me or if not me then anyone else. I can say that he's scared now and sincere in his apology.

"Okay I forgive you but I hope it won't happen again, especially you can hurt people. You're just lucky cause I didn't"  I say.

"Yes, miss. I'll be careful on playing next time. Thanks for forgiving me"  I smile at him to lessen his worries.

"Wait, Winter! Where are you going??"  Giselle asks which makes me quickly turn my head to Winter. I'm surprised cause she's already walking away from us.

"What's wrong with her? She didn't even say goodbye before she goes"  Giselle asks me, puzzled. I can't answer her because I don't even know why.

I watch Winter disappears in my sight without having a chance to thank her.

"Anyway, are you really okay? If you want I'll drive your car"  Giselle offers.

"Don't worry I'm fine Gigi, really"

"If that's what you say... Let's go now?"  she says as I smile. She then helps me walk even though I can walk by myself.

I look back at where Winter went, hoping that she will run back to us so that I can thank her for saving me. It feels weird that she didn't say any words this time. Is she mad at me because I'm always avoiding her? Gosh, I hope it's not.