Chapter 47

Karina's view

"Are you the patient's family?"  I hurriedly stood up when the doctor approached me.

"No doc but I'm a close friend"  I answer and he nods as if he understands.

"What happened to her? Is she alright??"  I ask after. My heart begins thumping rapidly again.

"The patient is still unconscious but her vital signs are stable. Nonetheless, we would observe her for the next 24 hours if she doesn't wake up soon"  the doctor announces which makes me calm down a bit.

"Thanks, doc"

"No problem. I have to go now"  he said before he walks away.

I feel Deja vu as I enter. An unconscious Winter was lying on the hospital bed almost a year ago but the difference is that she doesn't have any tube in her mouth now.

I sit on the chair behind the bed. I then hold her left hand while leaving kisses on it.

"Get some rest for now Winter so you have enough energy for tomorrow"  I say.

I know she can't hear me but I told her some of my plans once she gains consciousness. I will learn how to cook her favorite food then bring it to her personally and maybe give her the friendship ring that I was supposed to give her last Christmas. Winter doesn't like expensive things so I hope she will like that kind of thing.

I stop talking to her when the door flew open and it reveals Ningning.

"Karina what happened to her??"  she asks as she runs towards us.

"We went to a coffee shop this morning but then she excused herself to use the comfort room. Minutes after, I checked upon her and she was already unconscious on the ground. I'm sorry Ningning, this shouldn't happen if it wasn't because of me"  I apologize, feeling all the guilt.

"No Karina, this wasn't your fault. I knew this would happen"  she says which surprised me.

"What do you mean that you already knew this?"  I ask, confused.

"Winter has been experiencing headaches lately. I was worried about it because it happened not only once but almost every morning. I told her to visit her doctor but she refused to do so"  she explains.

"Wait what?? A headache?"

-

For the last two days, my mind has been occupied by things to the point that I didn't attend my classes until now.

Winter hasn't woken up yet so the doctor will run some tests today. Also, I already told about this to her mother and the news almost gave her a heart attack. She told me that she will go here tomorrow morning.

Suddenly, I heard a knock on the door. I thought that it's Ningning but when I opened the door, it's Giselle.

"Gigi? Uh come inside"  I say.

"Thanks"  she says then follows me inside Winter's room.

"Sorry if I didn't text you that I was coming"  she tells me as she sits on the couch but I smile at her.

"Actually, I'm glad that you came"  then she reciprocates my smile.

We ate the snacks she brought with her, then we talked about school. We laughed here and there like there's no tomorrow coming anymore. I hope Giselle and Winter would get along together like us.

"By the way, how is she?"  she asks in the middle of our conversation, then the atmosphere becomes serious again.

"I can't tell that she's totally fine Gigi but I'm praying that she'll gain conscious any time soon"  I reply.

Giselle glances at Winter and I can say that she's worried too even though she didn't say it.

"Don't worry Rina, she will wake up soon"

"Thanks, Gigi"

"Come here"  she says then opens her arms widely.

I move towards her then she enclosed me in a tight hug.

"Winter and I aren't close but I know she will wake up soon. She's a strong woman after all"  she says which lessens my worries. Giselle isn't the type of person that would give this kind of words but if she does you will feel the sincerity in it.

We stayed in that position for a minute when someone cleared her throat behind me. I quickly look behind me and see Ningning standing there.

"Have you been there for long?"  I ask.

"Not really. You left the door open so I enter without knocking and I didn't know you have a visitor here"  she says.

"Ah yeah. Giselle wanted to visit Winter"

"Oh really? I thought she was busy with her SCHOOL WORKS?"  she says or more likely she says sarcastically.

I then look at Giselle who is now looking at the floor. All of the sudden, I feel a tension between these two.

"Alright? Is there a problem?"  I ask but no one answers my question.

"I uh Rina I forgot to tell you. I still need to do something tonight so I guess it's time to go now. I'll just go here in the other day"  my brows form into an arc. Why so sudden?

"Oh okay. Take care Gigi"

"Thank you. I'll go now. Bye Rina and to you Ningning"  she says but Ningning just stares at her. She then hurriedly walk outside.

"Ningning is everything fine?"

"Karina I bought Pink Pringles for us"  Ningning says so I just shake off my head. I could feel something is going on between these two but decided not to ask anymore.

Tsk tsk, kids nowadays.