Ch 68 - Cruel to be Harsh?

Wei WuXian looked up at the starry night sky, Lan WangJi's form in his peripheral easily steers his way. A small smile creeping up on Wei WuXian's visage once he felt Lan WangJi's coarse fingers seeking out to interlaces with his.

It was rare to have such peaceful moment to themselves, so Wei WuXian clamping on his impulse to fill up the silence. He's well familiar of how much his beloved treasure such silence. Their steps were slow, idle and languid but Lan WangJi still able to conserve regality. Witnessing and experiencing it once again, made Wei WuXian tumbling head over heels.

In the seconds Wei WuXian struggling with his inner control, Lan WangJi wisely watched with fondness. "There was something you're curious about," acknowledged Lan WangJi, steering Wei WuXian to the side of the path.

"So, Lan Zhan ... You went out and inspect the ward."

"One of the traps was triggered,"

"Do you find out by whom?"

"Wen Chao, his paramour and Wen ZhuLiu."

"Huh, I'm sure they can wait till tomorrow," spat Wei WuXian suddenly infuriate at the bitterness that was forming on his tongue.

"I'll deal with them," whispered Lan WangJi after Wei WuXian fell silent. Lan WangJi has always known that the misery Wei WuXian had to endure at the hands of those three was too much and indescribable. While they had hurt Wei WuXian physically and mentally, they had been the reason Lan WangJi hurt emotionally.

"We are going to handle them together," said Wei WuXian, settling the interlacing fingers on his lap. He released Lan WangJi's hand to trace and study the warm palm that was littered with patches of coarse skin. This is the hand of a young man that spends hours upon hours of gripping sword to perfect his swordsman skills.

"I want to protect," informed Lan WangJi.

Wei WuXian holds up Lan WangJi's hand to inspect more. This elegant fingers had held a brush to write his clan rules as punishment years before they met. The strength in each delicate fingers had diligently strummed strings of guqin to produce sounds which served to soothe, protect and defend numerous souls.

"You'll have to do all the hard job though," assented Wei WuXian, in his attempt to placate his beloved. Wei WuXian was perfectly in tune with Lan WangJi's desire to protect their precious people.

"Hmn,"

"Situation at that time escalates from bad to worst too fast, that we couldn't have the time to properly discussed and find a solution for our dilemma."

"We were still inexperienced to be prepared for the casualties of our actions,"

"Besides, you'll never prepared enough," sighed Wei WuXian, remembering his own past deed.

"Prepare for the worst and make the best out of it," consoled Lan WangJi monotonously.

"I know there is a reason I adore you, Lan Zhan," Wei WuXian looked sideway.

"Hmn,"

.
.
.

Next morning...

"When will both of you ever be done with being lovey-dovey?" Xue ChengMei out of nowhere appeared beside Wei WuXian. His trademark smile plastered on.

"This young man --!!" Song ZiChen indignantly pulled the mischievous youngster's ear. Wei WuXian merely smirked having good knowledge that the young rogue cultivator preferred to have such attention.

"Ouch! That was my ear you were pulling!" Protested Xue ChengMei, helplessly being dragged away towards Xiao XingChen.
"Does it become red?" Asked Xue ChengMei to Xiao XingChen once he was released from Song ZiChen's unmerciful fingers.