Ch 79 - Is that the green monster!?

A/n - I've been delayed. Here's another chapter.

The changes of air are quite abrupt as Wen Chao keep running after his escapades from his latest stunt. As it was cooling with crisps of nature influence, while he detained Wei WuXian, currently the air is warm and humid. There's also the lingering smell of fire and smoke from the torches and braziers that always burning.

Wen Chao had to stop to catch his breath. He throws a nasty glare at those few unlucky disciples which are their fault merely to take a glance at him. "Damn it! The brat escaped from my grasp again," cursed Wen Chao as he hastily made sure he's presentable before he take a deep breath and pushed open the massive double doors.

"You're late," the stern voice made Wen Chao's blood run cold. "What is your excuse this time?" He panicked and sweating bullets as his heartbeats accelerated, so he blurted out the event at the forefront of his mind.

"I've tried to detain Wei WuXian, so I can bring him to you ... but his fiancé thwarted my plan." Wen Chao bow in pretend reverence and trained his eyes on his feet.

Wen Chao almost cursed as he felt the few seconds pass too slow, without any visible reaction from Wen RuoHan. Crackles from the fire sparks that merrily burn in the braziers made Wen Chao restless.

"His fiance?" Murmured Wen RuoHan tilting his head as if the idea was so farfetched. It was not uncommon for cultivators to have a same-gender partner. Though most of the time, it has never been announced and usually, said cultivators already fulfil the duty to provide an heir or heirs to the clan.

"Yes! His fiance, Lan WangJi," nodded Wen Chao as he chances a peek at his father's reaction.

"So," Wen RuoHan descended the staircase with a leisure gait. "The recent rumours of Lan's betrothal was to Wei WuXian?" Inquired Wen RuoHan once he stands a few feet away from his son. He at first take the news lightly, thinking one of the Lan gentlemen might have caught the heart of a young maiden from the YunMeng Jiang sect. Never in his wild mind imagine it has anything to do with Wei WuXian.

"That's right, father." Wen Chao's reply was solemn as if he was mourning over the fact itself.

"How ... was their relation?" Asked Wen RuoHan seemingly uninterested, yet those who knew him very well might be able to detect the shifting of his mood. Wen Chao blinked at the bizarreness of his thoughts.

"They seems inseparable and trust each other," answered Wen Chao grudgingly. His expression is as if he has to swallow extremely sour food. He strongly thought that Lan WangJi and Wei WuXian shouldn't be betrothed. Their birth status and attitude are primarily not in the same league. In his opinion, Lan WangJi shall take as many partners as he would like but he shall marry another with the same standing as he is. Regardless of the genders.

"Interesting," commented Wen RuoHan dismissively.

"Interesting?" Echoed Wen Chao puzzled. The Wen Clan Leader didn't bother to clarify his vagueness. Wen RuoHan approaches the side table and took a scroll. He read it briefly and extended the scroll towards Wen Chao.

"Have you heard of the monster?" Inquired Wen RuoHan as Wen Chao quickly took the scroll and skim by over the information it held.

"I'm taking a group of them to take care of it," revealed Wen Chao, hoping he made the right decision.

"Are you now? Let me know how they fare with the problems," Wen RuoHan was ascending the stairs after he flippantly dismissed his youngest son.

"Of course, father. Is there any request you want us to do?"

"No request. You have the permission to act accordingly," once again, Wen RuoHan was sitting on his throne, looking down the stairs.

"Your generosity very much appreciated," Wen Chao left with a smirk on his face. Once he was a few corridors away, he laughed gleefully. 'Anything could happen while night hunting, right?'