Ch 41 - Preparations (part 3)

A/n - I'm late, I know. Please excuse me and continue with your reading. Thank you.😊

The sun started to descend and the twin jade of Lan are ascending the long and winding staircase. While Lan WangJi is anxious to climb faster, Lan XiChen is as serene as the stream accompanying their upward journey.

Lan XiChen glance at his younger brother and grinned lightly. "Can't wait to reach Jingshi?" Lan WangJi turned to look at his brother contemplating the benefits of sharing his thoughts.

"Wei Ying might exhaust himself unnecessarily while he's supposed to be resting," said Lan WangJi in a monotone but the small sigh afterwards betrayed how worried he was.

"He should know what's best for himself. He's a clever young man."

"Xiong-zhang, I'll admit that he's resourceful in many areas ... But he has no preservation when it comes to himself. He'll be destroying himself faster than he can tell you."

Lan XiChen halted and stared disbelief. "Surely that's mere exaggeration!" He scoffs thinking his younger brother is jesting.

"You can ask Wen Ning ... he might be able to give you more insight on how careless Wei Ying could be when nobody is watching."

...

Lan XiChen secretly admired the small garden that greets them. It seems WangJi really cares about the garden, because he can't remember ever seeing it's overgrown or unkempt. Even their mother's favourite flower has grown well.

They ascend the few steps, and were greeted with quietness. Lan WangJi stopped short, looking somewhere on his right. Lan XiChen's attempt to approach his younger brother was halted by a couple of moving furry creatures.

'Where do all these bunnies come from?'

Lan WangJi crouched down and swiftly picked up one that was trying to munch on his robes. The effect of the furry creature on Lan WangJi is a first for Lan XiChen to witness. His expression softens with a tilt at the corner of his lips.

"Wei Ying must be lonely ..."

"Where did he get all these bunnies?"

"There's a colony of these bunnies in the Cold Spring Cave. Ancestor Lan Yi brought them up to accompany her."

"Wei WuXian knew how to access the cave?"

"We learned of yin metal there accidentally after we were punished for breaking rules." answer Lan WangJi, the tip of his ears reddening. Lan WangJi ignored his brother's shocked expression to walk further into Jingshi. Slumped over the table, there was Wei WuXian with his head resting on his arms as he slept.

"Wei Ying,"

It takes seconds for Lan WangJi to get a response from Wei WuXian. Those eyes fluttering slightly before opening widely as Wei WuXian sits straight. He rubbed his sleepy eyes before his brows furrowed together.

"Wei Ying," Lan WangJi calls, as he sitting beside Wei WuXian at the same time he invites Lan XiChen to sit opposite Wei WuXian.

"Lan Zhan! When did you come back?"

"Just now." Lan WangJi respond calmly running his hand over the bunny's fur. The action drew Wei WuXian's attention, which he immediately grimaced.

"I found them roaming in the forest near the cave, so I brought them home to play with." Explain Wei WuXian needing to justify his actions. Lan WangJi merely nodded, letting go the squirming bunny to let it join other roaming bunnies.

"Have you eaten?" Lan WangJi fixed his eyes on Wei WuXian's face.

"It's dinner time already?" Wei WuXian is surprised to notice it's already sunset.