Ch 80 - Different settings

A/n - On with the story.

[Unclean Realm]

Nie MingJue, Lan XiChen and Meng Yao had relocated to the hall. The disordered bed chamber was evidence to distract each of them. Lan XiChen took the liberty to serve them with tea he prepared.

"Meng Yao," Lan XiChen's voice made the said person looked up startled. "You've been lost in your mind. What troubles you?" Lan XiChen gave a soft inquiry look at the smaller man.

"I'm sorry. I didn't have the same stature as both of you to talk freely," Meng Yao  sounds meek and humble but Lan XiChen had to raised an eyebrow towards Nie MingJue as he detected there's sliver of defiance in his tone. They wouldn't have found it if they haven't been warned in advance.

"It's alright, Meng Yao. Whenever the three of us meet without others, feel free to talk," compromised Lan XiChen with neutral tone.

"Clan Leader Lan was indeed correct," Nie MingJue decided to sit beside Lan XiChen. Furthermore, it shows the equality he tried to practice instead of sit behind his massive table.

"There won't be any repercussions if I cross the line?" Asked Meng Yao with calculative eyes.

Putting the cup of tea on the table in front of Meng Yao, Lan XiChen smile and nodded, "You have our permission to talk freely. As long as it's not slander or lies, you may speak your mind."

Feeling assured and slightly brazen, Meng Yao clear his throat, "Then ... May I ask the reason I was needed here?"

"I'll be bold and you must be honest with us," true to his nature, Nie MingJue slapped on the table and lean forward.

Sitting straight with clearer mind, Meng Yao facing both clan leaders, "I'll try,"

"What do you think about both of us?" Expecting himself to be questioned with security and intelligent matters, Meng Yao face turned blank once he heard the question from Nie MingJue.

He blinked a few times before he directed his eyes towards Lan XiChen silently asking if he heard the right question. Lan XiChen merely gesture towards Nie MingJue to remind Meng Yao that the other man is waiting for an answer.

"I ... truly admire your courage and determination, Clan Leader Nie. Meanwhile Clan Leader Lan ... your gentleness as firm as the water in the river. Both of your temperaments are opposite yet compatible."

.
.
.
.
.

[Somewhere in Qishan]

Jin ZiXuan nodded, "Angry too," he added after a second. His hand clenched anxiously at the absence of Suihua.

"I'm not surprised at all," Wei WuXian exclaimed as he walked to the front of the group. There's no better time to stir restlessness amongst the enemies.

Wei WuXian skipping slightly with his bamboo flute twirling between his fingers. He grinned widely at the small frown on Wen Qing's face as he continues to where Wen Chao is leaning on against a tree.

"Why do you leave your position!?"
Undeterred by the harsh question from Wen Chao, Wei WuXian shrugged his shoulders as he answered, "It's nearing lunchtime. So, may I catch some fish seeing as we didn't have any provision?"

Wen Chao glanced at the sky and realized the time. He stared down at Wei WuXian suspicious for seconds. He scowled as he was thinking hard. Wei WuXian schooled his face to hide his expression, "Catch a big one and make sure to season it properly," he flicked his wrist as a sign for Wei WuXian to dismiss.

"I'll see to it as best I can," turned Wei WuXian and he finally smirked.

Jiang Cheng had followed Wei WuXian's movement towards Wen Chao. He wondered what mischievous thoughts had been concocted in his adopted brother's head. Especially when he returned with a smirk lingering on his lips.

Jiang Cheng wearily asked, "What are you doing, Wei WuXian?"

"Let's do fishing," announced Wei WuXian with a clap of his hands.

"Fishing?"

Wei WuXian beamed,"Fishing or catching, it's your pick,"

"I'll forage the nearby wood," offered Lan WangJi hopefully he'll found something that his beloved could use. Two Lan disciples followed at his signal. Wei WuXian merely smiles his appreciative at the broad back of Lan WangJi for a while until he disappeared amongst the foliage.

"You all heard that. Who can fishing, follow me. We'll be stopping here for lunch."

"Jin gongzi ... Make yourself useful and prepare some fire," said Wei WuXian patting on the young master's shoulder.

~*~

Lan WangJi returned with edible wild fruits, mushrooms, vegetables and herbs. He passed his forage to the other two Lan disciples. After he noticed Wei WuXian not amongst the loitering other clans' disciples, he frowned.

"Where is he?" Asked Lan WangJi as he passed by Jin ZiXuan. Looking up from the fire pit he tended to, Jin ZiXuan pointed with the stick in his hand.

"By the river, gutting out their catches," Jin ZiXuan sighed, taking a daring guess at Lan WangJi's stoned expression. "Don't worry, Lan WangJi. Those two were not so unreliable that they didn't realize the danger they need to watch out for. Wei WuXian merely standing by the river."

"Hmn," Lan WangJi acknowledged the information, even as he think there's danger in him being alone.

"Lan Zhan!" Wei WuXian waving excitedly from his perch beside the shallow part of the river. His feet was soaking in the cool water. Not far from him, Jiang Cheng and Nie HuaiSang were knee deep in the river trying to catch more fish.

"Need help?"

"I've got expert there,"

"That's quite plentiful,"

"I've told you, I've got expert there," Wei WuXian continue watching his splashing feet, "Um ... Lan Zhan, did you have any spices?"

"I've stored enough of your favourite spices, Wei Ying,"

"Have I told you how much I love you, today?"

"Every chances you've got,"

"Say, what did you found?"

"Enough for you to prepare full course," told Lan WangJi. Wei WuXian tilted his head as he frowned while he was trying to determine whether Lan WangJi was joking or telling the truth.

"Don't tell me you brought the whole pantry with you!?"

"Just ... basic ingredients that you might needed," Wei WuXian laughed heartily at Lan WangJi's embarrassment.

______________&&__________&&____________

A/n - It was barely enough. 😔😔. I'll have to edit later.

Published (29 December 2021)

1014 words