Ch 54 - Mission (part 3)

Xiao XingChen and Song Lan exchanged glances trying to understand the situation unfolded in front of them. Judging by the appearance, the man with a whip must be a Wen.

One thing that Xiao XingChen and Song Lan sure about was the chained man was injured, but the situation seems to be on his side.

"You're praising me too much," sighed the chained man. "My hands were chained ... How you expect me to accomplish the impossible?"

"That's funny ... I never thought I'll hear you humbling yourself," mocked Wen Chao. "Wei WuXian ... you better tell me what I wanted to know and I might let you escape early, without extra injuries,"

"What makes you think we're going to let you hurt him more?" Song Lan interjected by taking a step forward.

"You're not welcome here, yet you want to ruin my plan. Who are you?"

"I'm Xiao XingChen and this is my companion, Song Lan,"

"We're not going to ignore injustice,"

"Hah!! You're here without any invitation, and you assumed this scene as injustice." Barked Wen Chao, dropping the end of a whip on the straws littered ground.

"It's obvious that you're the person torturing him," Xiao XingChen standing at the side, trying to get Wen Chao distracted. Both of them were excellent in swords, but they much prefer to advise than to turn to violence.

"Ahh ... Yes, I'm the one captured him. I chained him to prevent him from running away and this whip to encourage him to open up." Admitted Wen Chao with a crazy look in his eyes.

"He's already in this state ... He'll die if you keep on like this."

"Actually ... That would be great ... " Wen Chao muttered as if he just thinking of the idea. Song Lan frown is dubious with the bizarre situation. "If he dies... Less one enemy and they'll go down with him," Wen Chao cackled like a mindless person, pointing at the space between himself and Wei WuXian.

"They ...?" inquiry Song Lan.

"Those nuisances ... They keep standing in between ... Wanted to shield him!"

Xiao XingChen focused on his surrounding and he was surprised to notice there is resentment energy concentrated in the middle of the room. Camouflage by noises made by Wen Chao, the chained man was whistling.

Xiao XingChen observed the young man while Song Lan cautiously talks to the unhinged Wen.

"This matter doesn't concern any of you!! You better leave while I'm being generous!!" screamed Wen Chao out of control.

"No!!" Song Lan stepped to the front to block the whip. He never expected that Wen Chao will change direction to outmanoeuvre his sword. Chains rattled accompanied by a sharp cracking of whip hitting flesh.

As Wei WuXian yelp in surprised, cloud uncovered half-moon in the sky. He was bathed in the moonlight and Xiao XingChen saw a black wisp of resentment energy escaped and attacking Wen Chao.

In his panic, Wen Chao wildly brandishing his sword around, while the resentment energy gathering around him. Song Lan stepped back unwilling to get involved.

"XingChen," Song Lan stands beside his companion.

"Young master Wei ... Did you do that?"

"Which one?"

"Argh ... I'll kill you!" Screamed Wen Chao and escaped. Xiao XingChen and Song Lan look at each other bewildered.

"Damn ... Didn't expect him to be this well," Wei WuXian gritted through his teeth. Xiao XingChen walk around and he found the reason Wei WuXian breathing increases at a short and fast pace. A short blade imbedded in Wei WuXian's lower left torso.

"Hey, you need to stay awake," said Song Lan as he was cutting the chain. Xiao XingChen helps support Wei WuXian to prevent him from falling on the floor in a heap and making his injuries worst.

"Could I trouble both of you with accompanying me to a safe place?"

"Don't worry, we're not going anywhere too soon," Xiao XingChen reach out to pull the blade, but stopped by Song Lan.

"He'll be losing too much blood and because of the previous injuries he had, he's going into shock soon." Muttered Song Lan to Xiao XingChen worriedly.

"I've sent a message ... my fiancé will be waiting,"

"Firstly, your injuries need to be treated," Xiao XingChen took out a small wooden box from his sleeve. Wei WuXian could hear the tinkling sounds to indicate that it contained small bottles.

"First, we need to get out of here. Next, will be the treatment." During his detainment, he only met Wen Chao for the last several hours. He didn't know if Wen Chao acting solo or there's a partner. Because of this, Wei WuXian desperate to leave the place as soon as possible.

"Where we will be meeting your fiance?" Asked Song Lan.

"YunMeng," whispered Wei WuXian.

"That's ... forget it! You won't be able to make half the journey there," protested Song Lan.

"Don't worry, I have a way to get there in mere seconds."

"You still need us to protect you?" Xiao XingChen asked with a frown. Wei WuXian smiles, reaching inside his lapels for a talisman.

"I don't think I can focus on channelling my spiritual energy."

_-_-_

It will be sunset in a few hours. The day had passed without any big commotion. Children saying farewell and promises to meet again the next day. Sellers were wrapping up their businesses for the day. Customers hurrying to return home with their purchases. As the market centre square gradually empty, suddenly a gale of wind blew up dust and sand. The market has gone still as everyone waited for the dust to settle.

Then, a few children shouted about a flying cultivator, drawing civilians attention to the white-clad figure balancing himself on the narrow sword. He landed in the centre of the mess with ease. Minutes later, they finally able to see a pair of young men in similar attires yet opposite black and white colour standing on guard. Upon closer inspection, a young man clad in light blue, one of the Jade of Lan, was attending to an injured young man. The injured young man's identity at once triggered the local civilians into frantic actions.

"Isn't that ... Young master Wei?"

"Yes, young master Wei!"

"Someone needs to inform Lord Jiang,"

"Right, leave that to us!" A bunch of children answered as they ran away.
.
.
.

"Coming through!!" Screamed a few children as they squeezed in and pushing their way through the crowd.

"Lan WangJi,"

"Wei Ying lost a lot of blood." Reported Lan WangJi promptly. His monotonous voice for once shaking.

"Let's bring him back." Whispered Jiang FengMian, Lan WangJi nodded as he took Wei WuXian in his arm effortlessly.

Jiang FengMian looks at the pair of cultivators that had been standing around quietly.

"I believed they helped Wei Ying somehow," informed Lan Zhan as he recognised them. There must be a reason  Wei Ying brought them home. Wei Ying indeed injured badly, but it won't hinder him from activating his special teleportation talisman.

"I'm grateful for your help. Please come to my manor, the Lotus Pier."

"We coincidentally passed nearby when he was in trouble," Xiao XingChen started to explain but halted by Jiang FengMian.

"It doesn't matter. My son would like to have both of you there once he awake."

____________&____________&_______________

A/n - A bit rushed. Share me your thoughts on this chapter.

Published ( 13/6/2020)
1200 words