-3-

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation. - Oscar Wilde

The weeks following her birthday had gone by quickly. As days got ticked off the calendar and the living got too caught up in their routines, the dark manor was as busy as ever. The Alexanders dominated the Wizarding World for centuries. They had a pawn everywhere as they played every move with a cold and daring strategy. 

The Ministry just an act to take everyone's attention away from the backstage, where the masterminds had complete control over every life. As the economy and commerce relied on them, one matter was known. Playing fair was not an option.

On the slightly chilly August day, the youngest member of the bloodline was getting her Hogwarts trunk ready to follow her already chosen life path. She never was one to follow without reason and yet she wasn't allowed to have a say. Even though some thought she fit in perfectly, deep down she knew something would never be right.

 Everyone bowed down to her and yet she never felt in control. Not in control of her thoughts. Not in control of her life. Not in control of herself.  Lost, when she was exactly where she was supposed to be. Missing when she had everything. Continuing to organize her trunk after refusing the house-elf's help, she held her cypress wood wand tightly.

Countless lessons on who to associate herself with and the fellow Slytherins who would attend the magical institution with her, she had learned every relevant name. Parkinsons - a bunch of gamblers, owning a big part of the alcohol and entertainment industry, Malfoys - their son Lucius was 3 years older than the curious girl reading the tapestry. 

Both families were Black descendants. The now British purebloods were once divided in two, the Greek descendants' Alexanders and European descendants' Blacks. The two families intermarried for centuries and yet the two households still didn't share any blood as even her parents were second cousins. No matter how many examples of this surrounded her, she would always find it repulsive. 

As she lastly put in her ties, which would soon be decorated by elegant emerald green and silver, the tiny house elf walked into her room. 

The creature appeared at her door with a nearly visible smile. Taking the trunk to bring it downstairs close to the entrance hall for tomorrow morning, while discreetly slipping the young girl a book. They had been doing that secretly for many years now, and each time the book would be a surprise selection by the illiterate little elf himself. Pride and Prejudice. She checked out the book. 

"Well, hopefully, no one will die randomly this time" She added, chuckling at her friend in front of her when she heard strict steps coming up to her room. Hiding the book under her bed by reflex, she got up and slipped into her bed as the noise walked farther away from her door.

"Master Alexander wants me to inform Miss Laurie that they will apparate to Kings Cross tomorrow morning at 7" Let out the shaky elf whose still trembling voice indicated he had talked to her dad.

"Okay thank you" She answered, lightly laughing at the nickname given to her since her seven-year-old self had insisted that he didn't call her so formally.

Her eyes slowly drifted away with the smell of parchment and the not-so-quiet screams let out by her mother downstairs, imagining Hogwarts. Set on continuing the family legacy of graduating in green and silver, she took one last look at the emerald quills on her bedside table and let her unconscious repeat her day in a nightmare.