-71-

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away - Philip K. Dick

The headmaster's office was covered wall to wall with huge portraits, bookshelves and gold decorations. Way too many of them actually for someone who always spoke about how the little things in life can give one happiness. But at least that made two of them in the office who knew that it was complete bullshit.

"Hello, Miss Alexander. To what do I owe the pleasure ?" The old man spoke finally with his usual calm tone.

"Hello, Professor. I assure you that when I stop talking you will have none of that pleasure left." The pale girl answered while sitting on the chair directly facing him. "I hear that you have decided, for whatever reason, to make me the antagonist of your story, and tell my friends a few stories about me, that you and I both know, are lies" She ended the sentence firmly while crossing her legs and awaiting an answer expectantly.

"Oh Miss Alexander, I remember being your age. Being so spirited and valiant about everything coming my way. But I too, can assure you, that there is no gossip going on about you. As for your friends, just like every other one of my students, I only want their best intentions"

"I completely understand professor, but I have been the one protecting them all these years, not you. Because they are all I have, and not because I want to recruit them as pawns for my big army while you sacrifice them one by one. So this time, my request is an- order. If you know what I mean" She smiled cunningly. "I want to be a part of the Order of the Phoenix. And you will not tell any of my friends or make any attempt in recruiting them anytime soon-"

"Well-"

She shot him a terrifying glance that made him let her finish her sentence.

"Or I will tell a few people that you have been cooperating with Regulus Black, a very, well-known Death Eater" And with that, she shot back up from her chair.

"Very well Miss Alexander. You will be updated on the date of our next meeting"

"Thank you, professor"

-

The clock hit midnight at the astronomy tower, and even though the person she was waiting for had never shown up since that day, she still had a glimpse of hope in her that led her there every single Monday. Today specifically, she needed to talk to him. 

Tens of minutes went by once again as she was standing all alone and decided once again to go back to her dorm, the silent sound of firm steps distracted her from her thoughts and she found herself facing the boy walking up to her.

"Regulus ?" The girl breathed in shock, straightening her stance.

"Hey Laurie" He smiled calmly, like all of this was so regular. "I see you're here again ?"

"I'm always here"

"I know. So am I"

"No, you're not"

"For such an observant person you really miss things that are so close to you Laurel Alexander. The things that are so obvious" He answered, not a hint of the insecure little boy was left in his deep voice.

"Stop talking to me like that when you've only been trying to ruin my life behind my back" Her tone had changed suddenly, the excitement had completely gone away and left its place to anger.

He instantly started walking to get closer to her face while his jaw sharpened. "I've been the only person doing what's best for you. I always have. Not my idiot of a brother"

"You can't talk about him that way when he had the bravery to do what you couldn't" She replied coldly, getting closer to him in fury.

"Selfishness isn't bravery" Regulus hissed. "HE TOOK EVERYTHING FROM ME"

"He never, ever, did anything to you-" His hands suddenly gripped her collar

"He took away any choice I had, he took you"

"I was never yours" She answered sternly but couldn't pull away or step back because of the fences forced on her back.

"I know you the best, I know that you're too complex for his simple mind" And with each one of his words his body pushed her more into the wood barriers of the tower, leaving her no space to move. "I knew instantly it was you under those many disguises at our meetings. I know how much danger you put yourself into for those people that don't deserve a scrap of it. I won't let you do that, ever again. Do you hear me ?"

"LET GO OF ME- AND NEVER SPEAK ABOUT THEM LIKE THAT" She screamed in wrath.

"I will never let go of you" The boy smiled, softening his grip on her shirt. But his sentence was cut short by a loud noise, and soon enough, two boys with the same exact hair colour were on the ground, rolling on top of each other.

"I see you lay another hand on her I swear to Merlin it will be the last time you touch anything. Do you hear me you sick coward" Sirius yelled on top of his brother, punching him senselessly.

The younger brother seemed to have completely stopped fighting since it didn't seem to affect Sirius, much broader than him and completely blinded by rage and adrenaline, and was laying on the floor with a bleeding nose and lips.

Unable to stand this nonsense much longer, she got out her wand and with a simple wrist movement, separated them, flying both to another side. The girl then walked towards her boyfriend and pulled his arm to direct him inside the building, looking back one last time to Regulus while his gaze was still fixated on her, swiping the blood off of his face.

Rapidly noticing what was going on, Sirius pulled her in front of him, grabbing her shoulder tightly and pressing her back onto his body protectively while bringing her into the much better-enlightened corridors of the building.

He seemed to observe every inch of her skin carefully while swiping her dark hair behind her ears. Finally, his grey eyes met hers.

"Did he do anything to you, did he touch you ?" Sirius finally spoke while clenching his jaw.

With an offended expression, she suddenly pulled away from him. "Of course, he didn't do anything to me. It's Regulus we're talking about"

"Exactly, It's Regulus. What do you think would've happened if I came 3 seconds later" He hissed, getting closer to her. "And judging by the way you're still defending him to me, I think you would've liked that"

"You're the one I'm dating Sirius, how can you believe that nonsense ?" She spoke firmly, clearly offended.

"I wonder if that still would've been the case if he hadn't fucking abandoned you." Sirius laughed without a single hint of warmth. "Once in my life, I wanted to be chosen over Regulus. The perfect one, the only one who deserved to be loved, cared for. I gave up everything to not live in his shadow, to not be treated like a disappointment and abused simply because I didn't resemble my worthless coward of a brother. You know that the best, you're the only one who does. But obviously, it means nothing to you"

And with that, he walked away, leaving her all alone once again.