-12-

We cannot become what we want by remaining what we are - Max Depree

The following months had gone by smoothly, saving James and Peter from being attacked by the Whomping Willow at the very last second, their common love for mischief had brought all five even closer together. Regulus who seemed more than happy with his new life at Hogwarts, surrounded by people treating him like a prince, and Laurel had started meeting each other every Monday at the same hour, James's obsession with Lily growing every day, and the girls' dorm growing closer and closer together, everything seemed to fit in a routine.

The mornings were often quiet at Hogwarts and Laurel had made it her job to bring the other ten their mail each morning. It made her exercise like her mother asked her to and had time to fly in her owl form with the fellow fliers she talked to nearly every morning, but above all, the alone time was immaculate, and there was no one awake to destroy her inner peace. 

 At least until she saw the familiar tawny owl carrying a letter, destined to her.

Laurel,

I have been hearing about your unacceptable associations with Blood Traitors and worst of all, Mudbloods. Not only damaging our family name but also possibly losing respect in the eyes of your future betrothed. No man from a respectable family would agree to a marriage with someone who not only associates, but also expresses support toward those disgusting breeds. 

If I hear that you put one more step out of line, I will personally make sure to make Lucius take you under his wing to redirect you towards the correct people or you will greatly suffer the consequences. You must understand your status and the requirements that come with it and as I had always doubted it, are not capable to fulfil them. I regretfully realize now that I have been too allowing and gentle concerning you and would like to inform you that never will I make the same mistake again. Your father and I are greatly disappointed.

                                                                                                                                                           V.P.A

The letter shouldn't have influenced her that way. Those were things she constantly heard coming from her mother and yet, a wrenching feeling of emptiness accompanied by pain had found its regular place on her upper stomach, just under her chest. And with that, her highly functioning logic had left its' place to impulse.

"Marls"

With a mischievous glint in her eyes and a knowing smirk, she gave the scissors to her blonde friend.

"Are you sure ? Isn't long hair-"

"It has to go"

And with that, the bathroom floor got covered with a thin layer of dark shiny hair.

"Come on, go all the way Gryffindor"

And getting the nod of approval from her friend sitting in front of her, she did it. Went all the way Gryffindor.

Admiring her work, Marlene was spinning her friend who was looking in the mirror with a shocked face, mixed with an unbelieving smile.

"I'm certainly not saying this because it came out of my hands but you look stunning Elle"

And she did. Her neck-length hair fitted her voluminous, dark and wavy hair perfectly while she walked out of the dorm to the Great Hall with a newfound confidence.

"So do you Marls. So do you." 

Clutching onto each other's arms and giggling, her mother was in the farthest place in her mind and walking into breakfast, the incredulous looks she received were memorable.

"I knew the rebel phase was coming" Stated Sirius.

"HOW DID I MISS THIS !" Exclaimed the giggling redhead.

"No mental breakdown ?" Asked Mary, with a comic suspicion in her voice.

"No mental breakdown." 

"Oh yes, great haircut. Gives you a-" Remus was cut off by a screaming James.

"OWLBERT VIBE" 

"Owlbert vibe ?"

"Now that you say it Fleamont dearest, I totally see it." Sirius chuckled, acting like he was investigating the hair thoroughly.

"Marlene we have to find a bleaching charm, imagine her with blonde hair !" Exclaimed Peter while laughing along with the girl who seemed to take the idea more seriously than any class she had attended during the course of the last year and a half.

"Are all of your lives so uninteresting a haircut is the highlight of your days ?" Asked Frank, laughing with the rest of them while Alice was watching him sweetly, laughing.

"Why Longbottom, want one ? I know for a fact not even Peter farting can wake you up" Remus chuckled.

"Oh yes, I can certainly see him with neon pink spikes" The brunette added suggestively to the boys, now listening attentively to the conversation.

And for a second, everything was perfect. Too perfect to last forever.