-8-

Friendship is unnecessary like philosophy, like art. It has no survival value. Rather it is one of those things that give value to survival. - C.S Lewis

Not wanting her second impression to the other girls to be her screams and sweats in the unconscious dark, she stayed in the common room until late hours, making sure everyone was asleep before returning silently to the room filled with people who hated her for a yet unknown reason. Maybe her mother was right, and those people hated her because of her blood status. And with that, she fell into the evil arms of the night.

The next morning, she was up early as always. Surprisingly, so was the owner of the empty bed next to her. Dressing in her uniforms, despising the colour that covered every inch of her body, the Gryffindor left the dorm for breakfast. Passing in front of the Transfiguration classroom to enter the Great Hall, she spotted her dormmate cornered by the third-year Malfoy.

"Did nobody teach you manners, walking in here like you belong. Filthy mudblood." As his palm pushed the small girl to the wall by her shoulder harshly, a slow whimper left the girl's mouth. It was obvious being more experienced in hexes and jinxes than the first year coming from muggle parents, he was going to hurt her.

Expelliarmus. Whispered Laurel to herself as the Slytherin's wand flew to the other side of the corridor. Walking slowly yet aware of the power she held, the noble pureblood approached the older wizard. 

"I can ruin you." Whispered the girl. "I wonder what the Minister would think of your father ignoring the Averys practising dark magic outside of the allowed professional purposes. Now leave." Eyebrows raised and a fake smile on, she watched the displeasing face leave the hall with hatred burning in his eyes.

Swallowing once, the auburn-haired girl turned her eyes filled with questions to the small figure standing next to her, offering a hand.

"So, breakfast ?" Asked the brunette as if nothing just happened.

Playing by her rules, the welcoming green eyes agreed as the two girls took their way to the great hall.

Being the first ones there accompanied by a few older Ravenclaws on the other table, Lily had jumped on the pancakes whilst the other was debating what her mother would say about her eating pastries for breakfast. An uneasy feeling found a place in her chest as the food on the large table defied her. 

"I have been meaning to ask you, why do you not like me ? Marlene is also a pureblood yet you do not give her those looks when she talks to you ?" Asked the girl, trying to get the sweets out of her mind.

"Me ? You casually called me a mudblood and for the record, Marlene doesn't do that !" Exclaimed the girl with eyes wide open.

"Isn't that your blood status ?" Confusion was readable on her face.

"I'm a muggle-born. Mudblood means dirty blood, you grew up with magic you know that !"

"I don't- didn't" The word was so commonly used by her entourage that she hadn't thought it was an insult for a second. Ashamed of her lack of information and the embarrassment of noticing all the people she had unknowingly insulted, she left her seat, not wanting those emotions to appear on her face, leaving the confused girl and her uneaten meal behind, once again.

The day had gone by quickly, discovering the castle and its surroundings in the daylight, things she already knew either from Hogwarts : A History or the dinner party conversations.

As the night fell once again, she found the three girls, sitting on Marlene's bed. Mary, Lily and the blonde holding the magazine were all laughing at the picture of a rather attractive man. Standing next to the bed, the three pairs of eyes looked up to her as the welcoming green eyes slid next to Mary leaving an empty place. Her red hair falling to her face from giggling, she gestured with her hand for Laurel to sit next to her, inviting her to join whatever it was they were laughing at. 

Smiling, she let herself fall next to Lily, much to the surprise of the two other girls.

"Who is that ?" Asked the brunette pointing with her finger to the guy's picture on the magazine. "He has cute eyes".

"David Cassidy" Answered Mary carefully like she was talking to a two-headed creature ready to kill them all. "A muggle" She swallowed waiting for the girl's next move.

"Hot, and forbidden for me," Laurel remarked. "Even better."

Marlene was smirking with a mischievous glint in her eyes and Mary cracked a loud laughter while Lily's proud mother look went unnoticed by the dark-haired girl, now too caught up in a debate with Marlene.

Joined by their two other dormmates, the six Gryffindors went to dinner and for the first time in a long time, her worries and drowning feelings left, letting her enjoy the meal with her friends surrounding her.