-6-

It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral courage so rare. - Mark Twain

The rest of the train and boat ride had passed uneventfully as the 6 other kids didn't shut their mouths for a single second. Counting hours to the wondrous moment she would never have to see any of these crickets ever again, she saw the dark castle, enlightened by the source of light coming from the inside. The woman who presented herself as Professor McGonagall led the first years to the castle while explaining things the girl already knew. Marlene and Lily had already become friends with two other first-year girls, while scarface and squirrel were talking to the irritating boys following each other everywhere. 

Waiting in line with the other nervous kids to be sorted, she had for not one second doubted her outcome.

"HUFFLEPUFF" Exclaimed the hat, and the ginger boy seemed content with the conclusion.

The old woman calling the names was obviously not going in alphabetical order when Lily Evans was called. After a few short hummings, the hat screeched out and the smiling girl redirected herself to the crimson and gold table.

"Remus John Lupin" Just like the girl, the sorting was swift. "GRYFFINDOR"

"Severus Snape" The hat took less than five seconds to place the pale boy. "SLYTHERIN"

"Sirius Orion Black" Still grinning, the boy sat. Her observations were once again correct as following the rapid conversation the boy and hat had, it was announced. "GRYFFINDOR". 

The boy walked with arrogance waving and smiling sarcastically to the shocked Slytherins and happy Gryffindors.

"Marlene Mckinnon" The girl cheerfully jumped on the stage, fell down, tried to lift herself up, and slipped down once again all while laughing gleefully. After the hard part was over, she finally sat down on the chair and looked up at the hat being gently put on her head. "GRYFFINDOR" It exclaimed once again.

"James Fleamont Potter" What were all these parents taking in 1960, she thought as "GRYFFINDOR" echoed all around the hall before even touching the boy's head. It was clear he had waited and expected this moment for a long time, just like her. But when she practised her walk to the left side of the hall in her room, she looked much more elegant.

"Edgar Bones"  The boy with serene blue eyes and dirty blond hair walked up to the stage and gently sat down."RAVENCLAW"

"Peter Pettigrew" You could see him muttering Gryffindor repeatedly to the hat which obviously had a different opinion opposed to the trembling and begging boy. Forwarding a few minutes, the hat had given in and exclaimed "GRYFFINDOR".

"Zenith Avery" The repulsive-looking boy walked with his chin up to the front. She had seen him many times before at dinner parties yet had never been so close to him. "SLYTHERIN". 

His friends pat his back as he passed next to them in the line to find his place between the emerald table.

The line got shorter and shorter as more students got sorted in their respective houses. The soon-to-be Slytherin had zoned out during the middle of it, amazed by the castle that looked even more mystical and captivating in person. 

"Laurel Alcmene Alexander" 

Taking a deep breath, she slowly walked to the stage. Everyone was sitting in front of her, Slytherins looking slightly more intrigued by the outcome than the other houses. She sat down and the old woman gently placed the hat on top of her shining dark hair. From the second it made contact with her head, she heard the hat's whimsical voice echo in her mind.

"Another Alexander I see, but there is something different in you." 

"Trust me there's not"

"Oh yes, it's all here. A thirst for knowledge and immense curiosity I see, you would excel in Ravenclaw and yet, something shadows it all."

"Ambition. It's ambition"

 "Your courage and determination, flaming loyalty to save and protect. I know exactly where to put you."

"Listen to me you old hat if I say I want to be in Slytherin I will be in- " Her thoughts were cut off by the silencing shout, crawling over the hall, whispering in every ear as the damage was now irreparable.

"GRYFFINDOR"