-4-

Life is about choices. Some we regret. Some we're proud of. Some will haunt us forever.  -Graham Brown 

September 1st 1971, Kings Cross was as busy as ever. Families came from everywhere, crying and hugging parents, restless younger ones and emotional seventh years were all occupying the platform when the Alexanders walked in. Both parents seemed collected yet their daughter could sense how on-edge they were. Her mother was setting her rules but the girl had already started her observation of the foreign environment. Everyone was everywhere but spotting the different classes was as easy as it could be to the young pureblood. 

She had placed an undetectable extension charm on her trunk which was now as big as a pocket, and while the other parents were embracing their children, Laurel quickly went to find an empty compartment. Her parents understandably weren't the kind to show affection, it only made her gain more time to find a peaceful compartment for a silent ride to the castle when she spotted it. Quickly rushing to the other side of the corridor, she entered the small section.

With a long window exposing the parents waving to their children with tears accompanying their eyes, she spotted her parents walking out with Walburga and Orion standing next to their youngest son. Hastily placing herself on the red velvet couch to hide the slight feeling of emptiness on her left chest, looking cautiously on her both sides before opening her book, she started to get lost in between the pages. At least Mr. Darcy isn't a murderous narcissist she thought when the door opened with a loud bang. 

"Okay, I'll see you at the sorting !" Screamed the blonde.

With a quick look towards the door, she recognized her, McKinnon. She was by far one of the prettiest girls Laurel had ever met. Blond locks falling down her tanned skin, flushed cheeks, blue eyes- The girl seemed like a real-life dream. Looked so approachable yet intimidating, it was just as if something was pushing her to talk to the standing figure in front of her. If only she was allowed to talk to her.

"Marlene" the girl presented herself, with an expecting look and smile on her face.

"Laurel" answered the mystery hidden behind dark waves and old pages. She looked much less approachable compared to the sun's reincarnation in front of her.

"So, you look anxious. First time here I'm guessing ?" Slightly giggling.

The girl was obviously not as good as she was at reading others. She was and felt many things. "Anxious" was not one of them. Trying to figure out what pushed her to think that and formulating an answer in her mind at the same time, she responded.

"Yes actually. You ?" 

Laurel of course knew the answer to that. The girl was next to them her whole life.

"Well for myself, first time. But my sister is a fifth-year so with all the stories she told me I'm quite familiar. Maybe you've heard of her, she's the Ravenclaw keeper and prefect, Wendy McKinnon ? Oh, how proud my mom was, you should've seen it, she threw the biggest family reunion to tell the news." 

So that was what that was. Good to know, she thought. 

"Speaking of her, with me leaving this year the two little monsters will be free : Max and Mike. And Mikey's coming here next year !

The girl took a long breath and continued her one-sided conversation.

"So, which house do you want to be in ?" Finally sitting down.

"Slytherin. I'm legacy" 

"Slytherin ?" She asked staring at her questionably "Which family ?" Suddenly she was calmer.

"Alexander. Laurel Alcmene Alexander" 

"Alexander ? Scary tall man Alexander ?"

"My father Alexander."

"Am I not a blood traitor ? Why aren't you sitting with those creepy snakes ?" She asked, half laughing. She was only speaking the truth yet didn't seem to understand the importance.

"It's not an obligation for me to associate with them. I just want to read, and as to you, McKinnon's are purebloods. Filthy beliefs, just not evil." And with that, her book opened once more. She had lied. Her mother had a strict rule about affiliations with blood traitors yet she didn't agree with her. Mudbloods and disgusting muggles were the cruel ones. The purebloods were only naive for believing in them. 

The Marlene girl talked way too much and unnecessarily for her own liking, but considering she would never have to talk to her after this ever again, she could continue her ride peacefully. She didn't even need to ask her, she wanted to be a mindless Gryffindor and was certainly going to be one.

The blonde on the other hand seemed to not mind her at all, eating a sandwich on the other side of the compartment, eager to have another chat when the door slid once again as a sandy brown haired boy appeared.

"Is this compartment empty ?" He asked.

Quite tall for his age, she noted. Lifting her head once again, she noticed scars. Not like the ones she had, they were all repetitive yet some looked old and some new. Interesting. A book pressed between his arm and chest, he cracked a shy smile. 

"I'm Marlene McKinnon ! Nice to meet you !" She jumped out of her place to meet him. 

"Remus Lupin, pleasure." The boy answered calmly, he seemed like he was in pain and looked disturbingly insecure. Looking tired and weak, he let himself on the same couch she was sitting on and moved to the farthest right, meaning no more than a place for two or three people to sit. He looked like he was just about to fall asleep when the door opened. Again.