-11-

What is coming is better than what is gone. - Anonymous

The train ride beginning the start of their second year, the same compartment as last year was now overcrowded. Marlene was sitting on Dorcas' lap, and James on Sirius's, right next to Peter whom they seemed to be closer to compared to last year. Mary and Alice were talking with Frank with his back pushed on the door as Lily came in during the middle of the ride after spending time with crusty Snape, and for some unknown and twisted reason, she seemed to enjoy his company. The only person whose place hadn't changed was Laurel, squeezed on the left window side, The Tenant Of Wildfell Hall open in between her hands.

The sorting was considerably less eventful compared to last year and yet when Regulus Arcturus Black was called, two heads from the Gryffindor table had turned to the hat sharply, secretly hoping for the same outcome which rapidly resulted in dissapointment.

Mike McKinnon was sorted into Hufflepuff, ready to be attacked by Marlene's jokes, and was jumping towards the yellow table while the girls got up to return to their dorm. 

Everyone had changed during the summer but Marlene looked significantly more mature with her tall figure, larger hips and chest and Laurel couldn't take her eyes off her friend. The situation in the boy's dorm, on the other hand, was much more difficult to get out of.

During the past year, the four boys had grown close to each other, excluding Frank who seemed to rather enjoy Alice and Mary's companionship, and were starting to wonder where Remus and the girl disappeared to every month. The two had grown close over the course of a few months so the three boys were quick to assume they were dating, even though Laurel having a laughter fit after hearing it made them question their theory each time. 

Last year, upon the discovery of the secret passageway to Hogsmeade, the sneaky girl had made it her mission to discover more secret tunnels, and that was exactly what she was doing, crawling under a shaft, covered in old wood and dirt, leading straight to somewhere yet to be revealed when she heard a noise.

"Alexander ?" A deep voice reached her from the dark.

"Black ? What are you doing here ?"

"Is this where you go every month with loverboy ?"

"Oh rubbish. But no, I think this way leads to Honeydukes and have no idea where Remus is."

"I was so sure it was going to be Zonko's"

"You can go to Zonko's from Honeydukes, there's a door that connects them both"

"Great ! I need more dung bombs"

"Me too, unfortunately, my stock came to an end the last time I needed to get out of Filch's detention."

Sirius laughed loudly at that while hitting his head on both sides of the narrow and constricted tunnel. The concussion must've had an effect on him as his eyes lit up like he just had an idea.

"Flitwick ?"

"You know it"

And with that, Zonko found his dung bomb and firework stock emptied with money on his counter the next morning.

Returning to Hogwarts from the tunnel was way harder as Laurel insisted on noting every detail of the passage in her notebook to remember it the next time while Sirius was pressed on getting back as it was "the night where they were going to discover it".

"If you are going to write everything you see let me at least get in front"

"We cannot switch now, the hole is too small, so you will have to skip the important business meeting"

"Rubbish. I can pass" And crawling faster, he reached the place where the girl was pushing herself forward when his head popped next to hers and stuck. Both trying to wiggle their way out of it, they gave up after many unsuccessful tries leading them to be covered in sweat and dirt.

"Seems like I couldn't" Observed the boy.

"I have to get out of here Remus is waiting for me." Laurel huffed in frustration and fatigue.

"To do ?"

"Get me out of here Black"

"Well you can rot here, James is going to follow Remus either way"

"TONIGHT ?"

"Yes, shouldn't he ?"

"BLACK WE HAVE TO GET OUT OF HERE"

"Why- what's going on ?"

"REMUS IS A FUCKING WEREWOLF. JAMES COULD DIE-"

"Come again ?"

"Close your eyes"

"Right now ?"

And with that, a Snowy Owl flew up to his face pulling and pecking his hair, and later transformed back to her human self, a few inches in front of the boy.

"Time to save your husband."

"How did you-"

"Animagus"

"When did you-"

"First full moon of our first year"

A look of approval and newfound respect had appeared on the boy's face.

"So you're like... Owlbert Einstein ? He looked so proud and content with his joke, Lowlrel couldn't help but feel a tinge of happiness in her chest. "Oh sweet Merlin, do you know how many pranks we can pull with you?" He finally grinned.

The path back to the castle was filled with laughter and scheming, and the full moon had yet again, given birth to a new alliance, impossible to break and heartwarming to watch.