-57-

You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit  - Oscar Wilde

She quickly shut the door behind them while pushing the boy on the floor of the small cellar in their basement.

"You move and I will kill you in the most painful way possible" 

He breathed anxiously with teary eyes, unfitting his large figure. "What's your name ?" She asked quickly, checking behind her calmly.

"Walden Macnair" He whimpered fearfully.

"Petrificus Totalus" Her eyes followed as he fell backwards while she leaned on top of him to grasp a few strands from his hair as she turned around one last time. "Obliviate"

-

"I apologize my lord I got lost on my way here" The girl presented herself in her new figure.

Boy. She was a boy now.

"I'm glad you finally found your way out Macnair" The man sitting on the other side of the tall table spoke with a cold and monotone voice. "Sit" 

She sat on the empty chair in front of her. With a short look observing everyone around, she could see all of them. 

They had obviously separated all the Death Eaters into different cells so none would recognize the other and the damage would be repairable if they ever got caught. It was smart.

Regulus. 

He was there. Sat there numbly with his chin lifted, silently observing everyone around. She thought his eyes fixed on her for a few seconds, or maybe she just wanted to see some humanity in him. Some Regulus buried deep down.

Evan.

He looked upset. His eyes were dried down but didn't look scared. He looked regretful, hopeless, but not scared.

After his brother. He was there.

Regulus and Evan both looked at her. They both looked at him.

They looked at Walden Macnair.

"You all know about The Order of the Phoenix, that they are a danger to our mission and therefore must be immediately taken care of. If Dumbledore is recruiting young blood traitors, so will we. This is why today is an important, very important day for all of you"

Voldemort. 

Voldemort started talking.

She continued looking around discreetly, memorizing all the unknown faces she saw as the man continues talking about the people they killed, their past missions, he continued until she heard the name she was waiting for. The part she was there to take care of.

"Killing those Aurors was a clever move. But missing Euphemia Potter, a mistake. A very big one. But I have mercy for my followers, I will give them a second chance, but this time I want the members of the order to be gone with her too. Even if they aren't yet. His son, husband, that blood traitor who betrayed all of us"

"I volunteer, my lord" Macnair announced proudly, but didn't miss the on his left boy losing his numbness at the mention of the names.

"You ?" Voldemort looked him up and down, his cold voice belittling his sight. "I appreciate the benighted courage but I want someone who has, what it takes" His eyes turned in the opposite direction towards Regulus with his last words before she intervened a second time.

"I do have what it takes. And I will do anything to prove it" She waited determinedly. "My lord"

"Is that so ? Then do it. Prove it"

-

She didn't know nearly anyone behind her as they opened the dark wooden door.

A man was chained to the wall behind him. He looked miserable, his face and red hair covered in dirt and unable to stand up. His unfamiliarity with everything around him was obvious from his worry-filled eyes, and assumedly, was a muggle, maybe had a connection to the Wizarding World.

"Please have mercy, I have two daughters, two beautiful daughters, you have the wrong man, please, I don't have any idea about what's going on, I'm begging you have mercy-" The man was trembling while trying to pull out a black and white family picture from his pocket. His voice was cracking and hot tears were streaming down his pale face.

"Shut it" The large guard next to Voldemort hissed. "Do it"

The man continued pleading and begging, but she had no choice. In the end, she didn't know him, but if anyone else took that job, they would die. Her own family.

She didn't hesitate.

"Avada Kedavra"

The man was gone, leaving an empty flesh behind.

He was gone, leaving his two children, a widow, a family behind.

She turned around, smiling assuredly.

"Very well" His white face was so stretched that no emotion was visible. If he carried any. "Do it quickly and don't talk about it. Ever" He then apparated away.

His existence was so, obscure, that you couldn't feel it while simultaneously being the only present sense around.

She didn't notice if there were other people around, her eyes were only focused on the dead body.

And out of all she did kill next, this was the most and only painful one.

The first and only innocent.

The-

"Walden" Evan ran up to her, breathing heavily, potentially because he was running his way down. "Why did you come back ? You said you were done with it. There is no way out now, you're in it for life" He scolded, her, or mostly him with pity in his eyes.

And that was how she condemned a blameless boy to a life he could have maybe escaped otherwise.

Wasn't murder, but maybe worse.

"I made my choice" She could feel her body slowly altering back, trying to leave as quickly as she could.

"Don't trust her parents, listen to me and Regulus. You can't get away with killing her, please. Laurel Alexander can't be killed." His voice changed between assertive confidence trying to convince her and small pleads, denying his former words.

"Get out of my business, I do whatever I need to. Just like you" But before she could turn around, he walked in front of her.

"You know I have to for my family, it's my only option to keep them safe. But it's not yours, you don't have to live a life you don't want to-"

"I SAID GET OFF MY FACE MAN" She paced out of his sight and breathed in relief as she shortened back to her own height, and her hair grew out a small bit just to reach her chin.

She looked at the wallet she had stolen from the man. The man she had, killed. Not knowing what to feel, or even if she deserved to feel.  

Whatever would happen now was Walden's problem, and the only thing left for her to do was alert the Potters. It was the only thing she could do, the only future she could change from now on.

Lost in between the battleground of her thoughts, she felt completely dissociated from reality, from everything around her. She felt numb, but not with regret. And that was until she felt the cold hands grasp her wrist and pull her swiftly into the room, shutting the door before she could see who it was.

The person who saw her do everything.