-23-

I will love the light for it shows me the way; yet I will love the darkness for it shows me the stars  - Augustine Mandino

He looked down to the girl sitting on the floor, parchments spread around her and his expression filled with worry as he read the title of the potion she was reading.

"Hello ?" He was obviously trying to not show the concern in his voice.

"You should use the Fanged Geranium instead of the Moondew." She lifted her head to make eye contact with the confused man. "To strengthen the Powdered Moonstone"

"It's not what it looks like"

"Why are you illegally making poison then ? If improved, this can be stronger than the Malevolent Mixture"

"Dark Wizards are getting stronger every day, I needed to do something to at least protect my own family"

"Flabberghasted Leech"

"What ?"

"I want to help"

"You are thirte-"

"And I know how to make it mortal, besides, I assume I'm the only person who knows about this" Flaming determination was visible in her eyes and knowledge was behind them.

"Why shouldn't I put the Moondew ?"

"It will absorb the poison in the Syrup of Hellebore and therefore make it less effective. Arsenius Jigger 1754"

"Come up here kiddo, you know your father would burn me on a campfire if he heard this, right ?"

"He won't then"

"What should I do with the Flabberghasted Leech ?"

"Only use the roots after draining the green liquid surrounding it, but I need to read more about Herbologist Potioneers to know what to wrap it in, since breathing the boiling leech would be the end of us both."

"Not an alliance"

"Not yet"

-

A week had gone by quickly, with Mr Potter slipping the girl ancient Potion books and even James and Lily had made a friendship pact for the two weeks, everything was going great when Christmas had shown itself and welcomed the three other Gryffindors for the celebration. 

"Thank you, Mrs. Mia this was truly wonderful" Wiping her mouth with the towel she was holding.

"Only Mia is fine dear"

"Yes Euphy I agree with her, this Yorkshire Pudding was delicious"

"I loved it too Mia" 

The three girls spoke while leaving the table, the order was obvious without even seeing their faces as they walked towards the fireplace and Christmas tree, surrounded by gifts. James opened the gift his parents gave him first, ripping the packaging in excitement, an old cape came out of it, his eyes wandering around the gift for a few seconds, his eyes lit up in the realization of something.

"DAD'S INVISIBILITY CLOAK" In no time he had started jumping around again, hugging both of his parents watching him gleefully. 

"No way this is actually it"

"I thought it was a legend"

Everyone had gathered around the cloak but the four boys had already started scheming for their plans at Hogwarts.

Frank had gotten Alice an Umbrella Flower, which she responded by hugging him so tight they fell on each other, but of course, a certain brunette could've also given them a push.

"Lils are you okay ? Did James do something again ?" She whispered as both of them were sitting separately from the rest.

"It's just that, I love the gifts all of you got me and mines are kind of, well. My parents are both lower-middle-class workers and since we were young they always did their best to give us a great education and all of that but," She hesitated to continue. "It has been kind of hard with the crisis going on and I just felt," She sighed not able to bring the rest.

"I know hearing this from me might not be very reassuring but I personally love my gift. Do you have any idea how long I've been looking for that book," She smiled before continuing. "And you Lily, have saved me in so many ways that I can never repay my debt to you, but some people have undeservingly an unnecessary amount of it, so take this, please" She slipped an envelope discreetly as Lily shook her head refusing.

"I can't this is your mon-"

"This is my parents' money earned by the unfair system. You will only be doing a favour to the other workers" And she walked away back to the tree, followed by her friend.

Like every other night, she left the room after more research on her mind, when she noticed a shadow on the balcony.

The person was sitting on the edge, swinging their legs and holding onto the fence in front of them.

She slowly sat next to them, enlightened by the moon, his hair gave him away. They sat for minutes, looking away, when she broke the silence.

"What happened ?"

He turned his head towards her, and answered after hesitating for a few seconds.

"They are great people who have been nothing but nice to me."

She looked at him, her eyes silently asking him to continue.

"I love James like a brother"

His eyes once again finding hers, and getting the support he needed to continue.

"It is a constant reminder of how much my own family is the opposite"

"And you feel envy"

"Yes"

"But feel guilty about it"

"Yes" His head turned back to the sky.

 Comfort was hard to give when one received so little, and words expressed so insignificant.

So her hand reached his, speaking the unsaid in their place, the moon revealing the unseen and his finger lightly holding the untouchable, the night was for once, defeated.