-45-

The strongest of all warriors are these two, Time and Patience  - Leo Tolstoy

She could actually do this. Graduate from Hogwarts and carry on her father's job at the Ministry. Get married to the perfect guy in front of her. Gain the respect and love of her family and surroundings, lead the life everyone expected her to.

What kept her then ?

She lifted her head to align her eyes with the photo the boy pointed at.

"We took that after our first Quidditch game. Third-year" All of them were spread around the couches in the Common Room, smiling with all kinds of candies from Hogsmeade. James's face was covered with dirt from the pitch and even Lily had agreed to take the picture with the rest of them with Frank's new camera he had talked about for months their second year.

"That's Sirius, right ? I heard what happened"

Her heart sank in at the name. At the uncertainty that surrounded it."I still don't know what actually happened. Even if they did try to send me letters, mother dearest must've burned them" Adding a bothered smile at the end while Evan was looking at her empathetically.

It was quite funny how her first impressions were once again so deceiving as the two had gotten inexplicably close in the following month, and yet were so different. Unlike the prejudice, not only she but also her friends held about Slytherins, the boy was uncommonly kind and had a sense of humour that consisted in more than boiling Muggles alive.

Redirecting his gaze to the wall once again, she pointed at another picture.

"That's Reg, Sirius and I. Our second year, his first. Before everything went, you know, they used to get along quite well. Sirius made fun of him anytime he could but no matter what, he was obsessed with him. He wanted to be him but I guess Walburga wasn't a big help there" She stood there for a few seconds, smiling idiotically at the moving picture she had taken by accident.

"What about you ?" It was a question she wanted to know the answers to for a long time. He nearly never talked about his own family or friends, maybe with the exception of Regulus who she insisted on wanting the news.

"I had a brother" He swallowed lightly, his adam's apple gaining prominence. "An older brother. He had graduated a few years ago. Quickly after Hogwarts he-"

She knew the rest. It was the typical story, getting more and more common each passing year with the rise of the new Dark Wizard, or even more dangerous than him, his followers.

"He was never really into killing people but my parents and everyone around him were constantly talking about it and he decided to become one" He was speaking sorrowfully, nearly fearful.

One. being a Death-Eater was an honourable thing to some. Parents would blabber about it proudly, the mentioned would brag about it. She even knew for a fact there were a few at Hogwarts, teaching Dark Arts to the younger ones.

"I don't think he ever killed anyone, he wasn't like that. Just got dragged along until it was time he wasn't necessary anymore" He was angry, an anger she hadn't seen him in before, as he quickly changed the subject.

"Hungry ? A friend of mine works at the ice cream shop just around the corner" 

It was an easy question, unlike its answer. She was hungry, certainly, but didn't want to eat. Especially not dessert when she had exercised less than what she should've. She had been so careless since he was here. Felt so light, like she could finally let go. It was scary.

"I'm not hungry, thanks though"

"You also didn't eat breakfast"

"I finished three plates the night before"

"That doesn't mean you don't need food today" He turned his head towards her while she was escaping his gaze. "I also had a hard time with the Quidditch team and my family, I know it's not always easy so if you need help-"

"I don't need help to eat" She chuckled absurdly, her eyes still looking away from the boy haggardly.

"At first I thought the same thing, I saw it as a good thing, keeping me the way I was. I was good at it, the only thing that brought me value"

"I don't feel that way"

Everything would be easier if she was good at it. 

If she could actually starve herself and not cave in. If she could actually be in control.

"I'm glad. But you don't have to"

"And what if I did, it changes overnight ? I can suddenly- " 

He understood her. She knew he did.

"No. It doesn't. It takes time and effort, some days are really shitty, but always better than another one"

"Dark chocolate" She finally answered, giving in, turning her head away from the boy jumping off the chair and pulling her out of the door energetically 

"No actual human likes dark chocolate"

"Don't tell me you like-" Her eyes opened wide and she let herself fall into the boy's arms dramatically before he completed her sentence.

"White chocolate"

"It's a proven fact that white chocolate isn't chocolate" 

"Kindly inform me what it is then. White ?"

"Cocoa butter, sugar, milk, vanilla, lecithin-" He spun around, looking at her suspiciously as she gasped calmly in realization "Rhetorical question ?"

"Rhetorical question"