-10-

You forget what you want to remember, and you remember what you want to forget. - Cormac McCarthy

The year had gone by with prejudice fading into realizations, and awareness had come to embrace the pureblood with a flawless reputation. But self-actualization came with its own bothers as any other concept of the wide universe, this one precisely, being her parents. 

Their disapproval and frustration growing every day, August had shown itself once again in the Alexanders' ballroom. A velvet dress this time, held her body tightly while her dark waves fell down to her visible cheekbones. One year had passed since the day she received the letter. 

One entire, and the most influential year of her life. While walking down the stairs with a newfound identity, the same wizarding world's top-tier were occupied with a glass in between their fingers, selling their idle life as the most interesting one out there. 

She had spoken to most of them before and yet the only familiar eyes in the room belonged to the Black brothers. Sirius had grown significantly and seemed to enjoy the attention he was receiving from others who had also, obviously noticed that fact. And there was Regulus, smiling and waving. The curly hair, thin face, flushed cheeks. Nothing had changed and the familiarity gave a feeling of safety to the girl whose life had changed so drastically since the last time this had happened. Suddenly, the boy pulled her outside.

"I got my Hogwarts letter today."

"Great, I thought I was getting kidnapped."

"What if I'm a Gryffindor ?" Fear was obviously present in his voice.

"Is this an insult ?"

"No, but you should have seen the way mum treats Sirius. I want to be in Slytherin, I have to be in Slytherin" 

"Firstly, it's good to see you too, and even though I'm obviously not the one to give you advice on being sorted into Slytherin, I need you to trust me when I say, whichever house you are sorted into, it will feel right and I will be right next to you." A rare reassuring smile appeared on her face as she continued. "Do you want to talk about how Walburga treats Sirius though ?"

The conversation went on for hours and when the clock hit 1 past midnight, the music stopped and they both knew it was time to go back.

"Thanks" Smiled Regulus.

"Oh you are very welcome, but if you ever come to me trembling like Filch ever again I will cut your hair."

And that night was the first of many times, Sirius Black would be on her mind before the unforgiving night held her captive.