-21-

We meet fear. We greet the unexpected visitor and listen to what he has to tell us. When fear arrives, something is about to happen  - Leigh Bardugo

"Piss off James"

"What ? We don't want you fainting like last time"

"I never fainte-"

"Okay everyone, seekers to the right, chasers to the left, and beaters with me."

The three gave each other approving looks and checked the stands to see the rest of their year waving at them.

Lily and Remus were next to each other like every training, the redhead jumping and waving warmly, while he was laughing at her, throwing his hand in the air sarcastically while Marlene was jumping up and down, screaming strategies and making the other girls cheer for them by handing them pincushions as pompoms, the only thing she had yet learned in Transfiguration.

James was by far the best chaser on the pitch that day, his agile flying abilities and possession of complete control over the Quaffle were standing out between the crowd of older Gryffindors trying out.

The beater's section was much less crowded compared to the chasers and seekers, but Sirius was still excelling at handling the bat and had kept the Bludger away from his teammates for the entire game.

Laurel was also easy to spot between the others, her swift and sharp moves had caught the Golden Snitch each time, and after each of those times, a satisfied smirk would find its' place on the girl's plump lips, a deeper tint caused by the cold, as she looked over to the benches, Peter caught up in the adrenaline of the game and Marlene bouncing, holding onto Remus's shoulders, her Broomstick aired once again, taking her place back in the game.

-

The tryouts were a huge triumph for the three Gryffindors and anyone who had objectively assisted the games would agree on that. James was the new chaser next to two fifth-years, and Sirius was going to be playing alongside Brody Hollins. The keeper was the only person who had tried out that year, Liam Wagner, and the new seeker was, the proud girl sitting with the crimson table, Laurel Alexander. 

"We get it Potter, you were amazing"

"And Lily was there to watch me" James's eyes were filled with hope as he seemed to get lost in his daydreams.

"I was there to support Laurie, and you were wonderful dear. You Potter, were terrorizing the poor second-year Hufflepuffs on your way here, do not ask me to congratulate you"

"I think the hottest beater in Gryffindor's history is being slept on here" He said pointing to himself.

"On or with ?" Remus couldn't be bothered enough to raise his head from the book between his hands and yet nothing went unheard with him.

"Are any of you allergic to, erm, McSpratss ?" He was trying to read the letter between his hand but was seemingly struggling without his glasses.

"No James, for the hundredth time, none of us is allergic to water"

"It's not my fault mum doesn't want to kill any of you !"

"Spot the seven differences between mine and yours"

"Add Walburga Black to that list"

"Oh she loves me"

"Maybe it's because each time you see her, suddenly the blood traitor leaves your body"

"You're one to talk," She scoffed, putting on her manliest voice. "Hullo, Mrs Alexander you look spectacular on this day Merlin has gifted us, would you kindly adopt me as your new house elf ?"

"I do not talk like that"

"Objection" Remus had intervened once again, Sirius poking him with his wand.

The new team's positions were getting distributed and their photo was being hung on the corridor, outside the Trophy Room. They were just kids with innocent smiles on, the future their only hope and worst enemy.