-19-

The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather in spite of ourselves  - Victor Hugo

"Did you know there are over 700 fouls in Quidditch ?"

"No James, I didn't" 

Drops of sweat were running down the girl's face. With red cheeks and soaked hair, between her loud breathing and groans, she seemed less than interested in what James was trying to tell.

"Why so tired already Alexander ? We just started"

"YOU JUST STARTED BLACK, I HAVE BEEN RUNNING FOR THE PAST HOUR" 

"Aggressive much ? You sure you don't want to try out as beater ?"

Her already dark eyes were now close to black, glaring at the two boys in front of her. What had started as the three training for the upcoming tryouts, turned into Sirius flirting with the girls in the stands and James taking himself for the trainer and spitting facts about the game up and down, whereas Laurel was running around the pitch for the physical condition part of the tryout.

"You really should have eaten dinner, maybe you wouldn't be so tired"

"I'M NOT TIRED"

"Okay Joe Frazier, so as I was saying, since we can't get a snitch for the training, Laur is going to play keeper, and I'm going to play beater for Sirius to train, and then he's going to play chaser for me, understood ?" The two nodded, one looking much more eager than the other.

Remus was on the stands, sitting with Lily. No matter how many times the two insulted the game, every time they were there, maybe not because of their interest in the game as they rarely cared about what was going on but because of the support they were bringing the trio on the pitch. And they knew her well enough to know she couldn't play another game. 

The determined girl had trained nearly every night for the past month to make sure she would get in the team and yet her two friends on the stands had never seen her that way. She was not only washed over with fatigue but also in pain, as if each one of her bones and muscles were aching and both the stubborn girl and the two other boys seemed too caught up to notice that, Remus and Lily had decided to take the matter in their own hands.

"Boys I think this is enough for tonight"

"Evans five more minutes, please"

"Sirius she's right it's time to go back to the Common Room" The sweaty girl next to him seemed to get slightly lightheaded and was losing her steadiness when he lifted her quickly, her head on his shoulder.

"I can walk Lupin"

"Of course you can, here eat this"

"I don't want chocolate"

"But everyone likes chocolate ?"

"I didn't say I don't like it, I can't eat it"

James and Sirius were joking on the back, placing the brooms and quaffles back in the closet.

"There should be some leftover pie from dinner if you're allergic to it but-" Lily was cut off by a nearly asleep voice.

"I'm not allergic to it"

The two looked at each other and Lily turned back to her friend, with a face asking her to continue.

"My mum says it makes me gain weight and that my thighs are already big enough"

Her voice sounded weak, and the two kids around her seemed alarmed.

"What do you mean your mum said that ?"

"It's bullshit. You need to eat or I will drop you" 

Even after laughing slightly at the joke, they were both looking at each other, concerned.

"Where are you going I need sleep" Facing the ground, she was whining, a low laugh joining in.

"Milsy, can you make us a chocolate cake please ?" Lily's sweet voice seemed to have caught up with what they were doing much faster.

"Of course Mistress Evans, anything else ?"

"And some more chocolate please"

"Of course Master Lup-"

"What do we have here," He was looking around and sniffing the cake dramatically "James, they are throwing a party without us. Remus, I thought we were best friends ?" 

"Oh the betrayal, my heart cannot handle this" James had joined in.

She was now sitting on the ground, Remus and Lily on her sides, laughing at the jokes they were making.

"Well Black, Potter, you are very welcome to join us"

"Pass the cake then Owlbert"

Everyone had taken a piece from the cake, Remus adding a bit more to her initial piece, and the two other boys completely clueless on what this party was about.

"You know," Lily started while taking a bite from hers. "You never told us why you call her Albert ?"

The four others were looking at each other, making Lily slightly suspicious and after a few seconds of silence, Sirius seemed to have remembered something.

"EINSTEIN" Realising he had screamed that a few seconds later, he continued. "You know, the muggle scientist"

"Calm down mate you're making it too obvious" Whispered James in his ear.

"You're not any better Potter" Lily responded swiftly.

"And by the way, my parents said I could come, James !" She had changed the subject after seeing the other three panicking.

"This is going to be so much fun, my mom is so excited to meet all of you. Especially you Lily Pad, would you like to come as my girlfriend ?" He asked hopefully.

"Maybe if you stop hexing Severus, Potter" Her bittersweet smile was scary and James had gotten the hint. 

For the next few hours.