5.0

"Austin if you could excuse us please" my Dad said, getting himself off of his chair, grabbing my Mom's hand in his as he gently tugged her from her seat. "Charlotte" he said in a deafeningly short tone. I swallowed hard as I got up, Austin's hand slowly leaving mine as he let it fall to his lap, his eyes taking on a worried expression for me as I flashed him a weak smile. "Charlotte..." my Dad said, this time the tone implying that if I didn't come he was going to drag me in the house.

I slowly started following my Mom and Dad into the house, my Dad sliding the door shut with probably more force than intended-at least that is what I was hoping-before leading us back to his office which was far enough from the patio so no part of our conversation could be heard outside.

The door slowly closed with a soft click as my Dad perched himself on the edge of his desk, his arms crossed against his chest and his right leg laying over his left. I took a minute to study him only to realize I had seen this stature so many times in high school when I would come home late from hanging out with my friends, and it never brought a calm situation.

I looked over towards my Mom in a pleading desperation for her to help me with whatever was about to happen, her demeanor looking to be just as nervous and confused as mine was, her eye contact with me implying that she had no idea what was going to happen either. I anxiously took the seat next to her, her arm wrapping around my shoulders as she placed a small kiss on my temple which had always been her way of reassuring me that no matter what was about to happen the outcome was always for the best.

"Charlotte... you can't be serious" my Dad said, his voice not quite calm but also not that angered. It lingered somewhere in limbo of the two, the answer I gave him deciding which way it was going to turn.

I took a deep breath trying to compose myself, whenever we had talks like this my Dad and I always seemed to butt heads most likely because we were the same stubborn hard headed individuals. I looked over at my Mom quickly before focusing my gaze back on his. "Yes Dad, I am serious," I said, my eye contact maintaining his as he glared back at me. His jaw setting in a hard line as he looked over briefly at the tons of books that never seemed to get used on his bookshelf before looking back over at me.

"After everything he has done to you!? After he didn't even care to acknowledge his son when he swooped into Dallas and broke your heart all over again!? You're just going to pick up your life and travel with him to LA!? Charlotte you have to have lost your goddamn mind!" he said in almost a yell as he pressed his palms on the top of his desk, his eyes getting big and that familiar prominence of the vein in his neck that always seemed to expose itself whenever he was pissed off at me.

"He was confused Dad! He was just starting his hectic life and he didn't know what to do with it!" I said, not being able to hide the anger in my voice as my words came out harsh and loud, my Mom rubbing my back gently trying to calm me down.

"You're just sticking up for him Charlotte! You are trying to make it seem like every shitty thing that boy has done to you has been because he was adjusting to his new life" he said, this time his voice matching my own as he pointed his arm out towards the patio as if I didn't know where Austin was.

"I'm not sticking up for him Dad! When I wasn't with him for three weeks it really made me think about things, and I forgave him for everything. People make mistakes all the time! I'm sure you aren't perfect!" I said, standing up to be in front of him as we continued our argument, my Mom just sitting there watching it happen never interfering unless it got too far out of control.

"When you weren't with him for three weeks you were a completely different girl Charlotte, you were happy and normal! Doesn't that tell you something!?" he asked me, his face only inches from mine. "You shouldn't be the one that keeps putting him first, he should be putting you first and I haven't seen him do that once since you guys started dating if that is what you want to call it" he said, backing away from me as he ran his hand through his hair, the other tucked comfortably into the pocket of his shorts as he walked around his desk.