6.5

Charlie's POV

"Well that went better than expected" Austin said, a nervous tone to his voice as he quickly rubbed at the back of his neck before bringing his hand down to clasp tightly around mine. His reaction to how things went with Ashlen making me nervous. It was almost as if he knew there was more to come but was afraid to break the news to me after everything went in a much different direction than I had anticipated.

"Yeah I guess you can say that" I said with a laugh, wanting desperately to end it there but as always my mouth moved faster than my mind and the words just slid from them without stopping. "But you seem nervous still Aus, what's up?" I asked, catching his eyes drifting up to the rear view mirror, lingering there a little longer than anticipated before they came back to settle on me.

"I don't know, I just feel like this went too well for her. She gave in too easily and that makes me nervous" he said, his eyes dancing over my face as he squeezed my hand tightly.

"Do you want to go back in there? It isn't too late to still go to the appointment. We can still go through with everything and get the test results to settle our minds and then move on to our appointment" I said to him, throwing out every possibility that existed before we both drove out of the parking lot wishing that we made a certain decision and never being able to rewind time to do it again.

He took a moment to think the answer over, the hesitation in everything making a small wave of uneasiness float through my body. Was he contemplating everything because he was afraid there was a chance that it could be his? Ashlen admitted to me that he didn't sleep with her the night that he came back from Dallas so there was no chance, but was it possible that he slept with her before that? I felt my breathing starting to become more labored the longer it took for him to answer me, the world around me becoming fuzzy as I was sure I was going to faint when he finally answered me.

"No, I just want to go and put this all behind us. We have more important things to worry about now, like making sure everything is going well with this little nugget" he said with a smile, his hand coming to rest lovingly on my stomach as he moved his thumb slowly over the fabric of my shirt.

"Okay baby, but since we have extra time, can we go and get something to eat? I am starving" I laughed, my head resting back against the headrest as I looked up at the blue sky, enjoying the feel of the sun soaking over my face before I brought it back down to look at him.

"And what are you and the baby hungry for Charlotte?" he asked with a laugh, his right hand coming up to cup my chin as he waited for me to answer him.

"Uhm" I said with a giggle, surprised that the same exact thing I was craving when I was pregnant with Austy was the same exact thing that I was craving now. "A BLT wrap, not a sandwich it has to be a wrap, with extra mayo. Oh and sweet potato fries and lots of them with a pepsi" I said with a laugh ending it with a long mmmmm making him break out into a fit of laughter.

"Okay baby, we will go find someplace that will get you exactly that so that you and the baby are adequately fed" he smiled, leaning in and placing a delicate sweet kiss on my plump lips before pulling the Lincoln out of the parking spot and heading towards the road. One horrible chapter of our life hopefully coming to a close as we started on the beautiful adventure of the next.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Oh my God this is heaven" I said, sinking my teeth into the BLT wrap, the bacon crunching between my teeth as I closed my eyes to savor the flavor before swallowing it quickly followed by a long chug on the Pepsi that sat in front of me.